About us intro
Who we are
The National Trading Standards Estate and Letting Agency Team is hosted by:
- Powys County Council: the lead enforcement authority for the purposes of the Estate Agents Act 1979.
- Bristol City Council: the lead enforcement authority for the purposes of the Tenant Fees Act 2019.
We’re responsible for:
- the regulation of estate agency work in the UK
- lettings agency work in England
What we do
- oversee the operation of relevant estate and lettings agency legislation, such as monitoring complaints, carrying out surveys and working with trade and consumer organisations
- issue prohibition and formal warning orders to businesses who we find as unfit to engage in estate agency work in the UK
- approve and oversee the UK’s consumer redress schemes, Ombudsmen, and Alternative Dispute Resolution organisations in the estate agency sector
- give advice to businesses and enforcement authorities on estate agency work in the UK and lettings agency work in England
- work with partner agencies such as Citizens’ Advice to make sure they’re giving the right information to consumers
What we don’t do
- give individual advice to consumers or businesses
- mediate in individual complaints made against a business
- award civil redress such as a refund or compensation
- conduct routine investigations: these are the responsibility of local Trading Standards, Environmental Health or housing teams, in certain circumstances we may investigate cases where a local authority is unable to do so
Our business plan (pdf, 204KB) (opens new window) shows the work we plan to do.
- how our work fits in with National Trading Standards’ strategic priorities
- our accountability to the Secretary of State who creates the legislation and approves the funding