About us intro
Who we are
The National Trading Standards Estate and Letting Agency Team is hosted by:
- Powys County Council: the lead enforcement authority for the purposes of the Estate Agents Act 1979.
- Bristol City Council: the lead enforcement authority for the purposes of the Tenant Fees Act 2019.
We’re responsible for:
- the regulation of estate agency work in the UK
- lettings agency work in England
What we do
- oversee the operation of relevant estate and lettings agency legislation
- issue prohibition and formal warning orders to those found unfit to engage in estate agency work in the UK
- approve and oversee the UK’s consumer redress schemes, Ombudsmen, and Alternative Dispute Resolution entities in the estate agency sector
- give guidance and advice for the public, businesses and enforcement authorities on estate agency work in the UK and relevant lettings agency work in England
What we don’t do
- give advice to consumers or businesses
- mediate or arbitrate in individual complaints
- award civil redress
- conduct routine investigations: these are the responsibility of local Trading Standards, Environmental Health or housing teams, in certain circumstances we may investigate cases where a local authority is unable to do so
Our Trading Standards Estate Agency Compliance Toolkit (pdf, 834KB) (opens new window) has information to help with local compliance work.
- best practice
- example letters
- scenarios for enforcers
Our business plan (pdf, 204KB) (opens new window) shows the work we plan to do.
It covers our:
- commitments to National Trading Standards
- accountability to the Secretary of State