Change a civil partnership to a marriage
Couples in a civil partnership can change their partnership to a marriage at the register office.
The ‘conversion’ is a legal paper process with the option to have a celebratory ceremony.
You’ll need to book an appointment and then visit the register office.
Please be aware that for conversion appointments taking place after the 9 December 2015 a statutory fee of £45 will be payable.
Book an appointment
To book an appointment, call us on 0117 922 2800.
You must bring to your appointment:
- a passport for each partner
- proof of address (utility or council tax bill)
- your original civil partnership certificate
At the register office:
- £45 for the conversion process (Please note that there is no fee if you have your conversion appointment before the 10th December 2015 and your civil partnership was formed before 29th March 2014)
- £4 per marriage certificate (you need at least one)
Organising a ceremony
You can have a celebratory ceremony with a registrar in the register office or at any of the approved premises in Bristol.
There’s a non-refundable £30 booking fee to secure a date and time of a ceremony.
At Bristol Register Office
The Mayoral Room, Old Council House: 50 guests maximum
- Monday to Friday: £200
- Saturday: £250
The Lantern Room, Old Council House: 70 guests maximum
- Monday to Friday: £625
- Saturday: £740
- Sunday: £915
- Bank Holiday: £920
The Grand Council Chamber, The Old Council House: 150 guests maximum
- Monday to Friday: £795
- Saturday: £885
- Sunday: £1095
- Bank Holiday: £1100
Venues other than the Bristol Register Office
Costs are for the registrar to be there:
- Monday to Saturday: £385
- Sunday: £400
- Bank Holiday: £480