What the Bristol Race Equality Strategic Leaders’ Group does and who is in the group.
Bristol’s Race Equality Strategic Leaders Group now has a new home at:
Bristol One City: Bristol Race Equality Strategic Leaders Group
Further details on the work and membership of the group, along with downloadable content, productions and reports can be accessed at the new webpage.
What the Bristol Race Equality Strategic Leaders’ Group is
The Race Equality Strategic Leader’s Group is a group made up of leaders from 12 public sector agencies in Bristol.
The group was set up to look at the issues raised in the Bristol Manifesto for Race Equality and has recently undertaken work looking at:
- the diversity of employees in the public sector
- differences in pay between black and minority ethnic (BAME) and white employees
Who’s in the group and when they meet
The group has representatives from:
- Avon and Somerset Police
- Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
- Avon Fire and Rescue Service
- Bristol City Council
- Bristol Commission for Race Equality
- Bristol Community Health
- NHS Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire CCG
- North Bristol Trust
- Police and Crime Commissioner
- South Western Ambulance Service
- Stand Against Racism and Inequality (SARI)
- University of Bristol
- University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust
- University of the West of England
They meet once every two months to discuss how public sector agencies can work together to improve the opportunities and experiences of BAME individuals and communities.
What the group has done so far
Public sector city-wide data report
In 2017 and 2018 the group looked at the race diversity of staff in public sector agencies across Bristol.
pdf The data report (3.64 MB) showed individual organisations and the collective race diversity of all public sector staff working in Bristol. This was compared to the population of Bristol to see how representative the public sector workforces are.
The report included:
- ethnicity of employees
- differences in pay by ethnicity
- sickness data by ethnicity
- grievance and disciplinary by ethnicity
Action groups made up of Directors and Senior HR leaders from the public sector organisations have been set up to look at the data findings.
They’ll work together to increase the diversity and improve the inclusion of staff across all organisations.
Annual Report for 2017 to 2018
The pdf group’s annual report (7.15 MB) shows:
- the challenges and achievements from 2017 to 2018
- the priorities for the group and individual organisations for the next 12 months
Winners of the Global Equality and Diversity Transparency Award 2018
The group won the 2018 ‘Transparency Award’ at the Global Equality and Diversity Awards for their work in researching and presenting the race diversity statistics of all of the public sector organisations in Bristol. We'll revisit the work in 2019 and in future years to help monitor trends, drive change and improve performance.