Guide to apprenticeships
1. What is an apprenticeship
Apprenticeships are training programmes that combine on the job training and learning.
They also have an educational element, such a college programme, which awards a recognised qualification at the end of the course.
Anyone over the age of 16 can apply for an apprenticeship.
There are several types of apprenticeships:
- Foundation Apprenticeship (Level 2)
- Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3)
- Higher apprenticeship (Level 4 onwards)
The length of your apprenticeship contract depends on the programme you enrol on.
As an apprentice you’ll earn at least the Apprentice National Minimum Wage. Many employers pay apprentices a higher wage.
Find out more about apprenticeships on the GOV.UK website.
2. Bristol City Council apprentices scheme
The Bristol City Council apprentices scheme, Bristol Apprentices, supports apprentices to develop in their roles.
Our apprenticeships include:
- business administration
- customer service
- sports coaching
- health and social care
- Human Resource Management
We work closely with our educational partners to ensure our apprentices get the highest standard of education and workplace support.
We encourage all apprentices to:
- pair with a former apprentice as their mentor
- enrol on e-learning courses
- be involved with apprentice-specific training courses
3. Construction apprenticeships
On Site Bristol provides apprenticeships in many construction trades in Bristol, including:
- painting and decorating
- electrical installation
- bench joinery
- plumbing and gas engineering
- building surveying
4. Apply for an apprenticeship
Apprenticeships with Bristol City Council
Our apprenticeship programme is aimed at people 16 to 24 years old. However, we welcome applications from all applicants.
We recruit for our Bristol City Council apprenticeship programme, Bristol Apprentices, twice a year:
· during national apprenticeship week, in March
· in July for a September start
Apprenticeships with On Site Bristol
Apply on the On Site Bristol website