Using the library computers
Using the library computers
All our libraries have computers you can use.
Temporary computer service update
- You must book a computer in advance by telephoning the library.
- Each booking will start on the hour, and last for 45 minutes.
You will need to tell us if you need to bring someone to support you using the computer, or need to use a scanner or adapted keyboard or mouse.
Staff will not be able to provide support with using computers. Printing will still be available.
Computers are not available at Central library.
All other libraries remain temporarily closed.
Book a library computer
You can only book online from within a library. Self-book using one of our kiosks or library computers to make future bookings. You’ll need your library card and PIN.
Call any library to book over the phone.
You can book computers for up to two hours. In some libraries, because of demand, computer bookings are for up to one hour. You may visit another library to use a computer for a further hour. Check with the library before visiting. If you’re more than 10 minutes late, we’ll cancel your booking.
Some libraries have quick-use computers that you can use for up to half an hour. You can’t book these in advance or use them if you’re not a member of the library.
Computers shut down 15 minutes before the library closing time.
What you can use library computers for
All our computers are free to use. You can use:
- the internet free of charge, but there is a charge for printouts
- word processing, spreadsheet, database, publishing and presentation programs
- your own memory stick to save your work
- a range of online resources
All libraries have at least one A4 flatbed scanner you can use free of charge.
The following software is installed on library computers:
- Adobe Reader 2017.009.20044
- Audacity 2.1.1
- Flash 25.0.0.
- Internet Explorer IE11
- Microsoft Silverlight 220.127.116.11907.0
- MS Dot.Net 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0.30319
- MS Office 2013, including Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Word
- OS Windows 7, SP1
- VLC Media Player 2.2.1
- Windows Media Player 12.0.7601.23930
- Windows Movie Maker 2012 (16.4.3528.0331)
Guest computer access
In every library, non-members may be able to use a computer as a guest for a short period, usually twenty minutes to half an hour, depending on the library, subject to the following conditions:
- Guest bookings can't be made in advance
- Guests need to show basic ID, e.g. a bank card or passport
- Guest access is “once-only” use and non-members are asked to set up a membership to continue to use computers regularly.
There’s no charge to use these computers, but there is a charge for printouts.
Before the end of your computer session
Save any work you want to keep to an external storage device.
When your session ends, your computer will restart. Any files you left on the computer, and your browsing history and passwords will be deleted.
Sunday computer access
On Sundays you can use the:
- Central Library computers between 1pm and 4:45pm, for up to one hour.
- St Pauls Learning Centre computers (in the café area of the Centre) between 11am and 2.45pm, for up to one hour.