Using the library computers
All our libraries have computers you can use.
Book a library computer
You can only book online from within a library. Self-book using one of our kiosks or library computers to make future bookings. You’ll need your library card and PIN.
Call any library to book over the phone.
You can book computers for up to two hours. If you’re more than 10 minutes late, we’ll cancel your booking.
Some libraries have quick use computers that you can use for up to an hour. You can’t book these in advance or use them if you’re not a member of the library.
What you can use library computers for
All our computers are free to use. You can use:
- the internet free of charge, but there is a charge for printouts
- word processing, spreadsheet, database, publishing and presentation programs from the Microsoft Office 2007 suite
- photo and video editing programs
- your own memory stick to save your work, or buy a 6GB USB stick from the library for £8
- a range of online resources
All libraries have at least one A4 flatbed scanner you can use free of charge.
The following software is installed on library computers:
- Adobe Reader 2015.008.20082
- Audacity 2.1.1
- Flash 18.0.0
- Internet Explorer IE11
- Microsoft Silverlight 5.1.41212.0
- MS Dot.Net 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0.30319
- MS Office 2013, including Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Word
- OS Windows 7, SP1
- VLC Media Player 2.2.1
- Windows Media Player 12.0.7601.18840
- Windows Movie Maker 2012
Guest computer access
In Central Library, there are two computers set aside for non-members. You can have up to 20 minutes access by showing some form of ID, for example a bank card or driving license.
You can’t book ahead if you’re not a member of the library, but our librarians can book you onto a computer.
There’s no charge to use these computers, but there is a charge for printouts.
Before the end of your computer session
Save any work you want to keep to an external storage device.
When your session ends, your computer will restart. Any files you left on the computer, and your browsing history and passwords will be deleted.
Sunday computer access
On Sundays, you can use the Central Library computers between 1pm and 4:45pm, for up to one hour.