Caravan and camping site licence

Caravan and camping site licence

Licence summary

To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence from the council.

There may be conditions attached to a licence these include:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • to ensure steps are taken to enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

Eligibility criteria

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence 

Application evaluation process

Applications for site licences for sites in the Bristol City Council area are made to Bristol City Council.

Applications should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the council.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

Yes. This means that if you have not heard from the council within the target completion period of 40 days you will be able to act as though your application is granted. Please note this period will not commence until a complete application has been submitted.

Apply online

No application fee is required for this application.

Apply to run a caravan site or camp site ( website) 

Tell us about a change to your existing caravan or camp site ( website)   

Apply by post

Submit your application form (msword, 135 KB) to Private Housing.

Applicant complaints

Please contact the council at first with any issues you have. If a licence holder is refused an application to alter a condition they may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be served on the council.

You are advised to take up any issue with the council first.

If a licence holder wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence they may appeal to the local Magistrates' Court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the licence being issued.

The council may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the local Magistrates' court . The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on the council.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre .

Bristol City Council will investigate complaints about noise disturbance or pollution from caravan and camping sites.


 EUGO (European Union Go) gives service providers and entrepreneurs from the EU (European Union) and EEA (European Economic Area) the information and support they need to set up or do business in other EU or EEA markets. Central EUGO website portal.

Contact information

Private Housing Team (100TS)

Bristol City Council

PO Box 3176

Bristol, BS3 9FS

Opening Hours


Contact details


Tel: 0117 352 5010