House to house collection permit

Apply for a house to house collection permit

You must apply for a house to house collection permit if you want to collect money or goods from people’s homes for a charity or charitable purpose.

The house to house collection permit is free.

This permit also allows you to collect from pubs.

Check the government list of exempt charities to see if your charity doesn’t need to a permit.

You must apply to the council that’s the licensing authority for the area that you want to collect in. Check which council you will be collecting in

You should apply at least 28 days before your collection.

Supporting information for the application 

For your house to house collection you:

  • may need a letter of authority, giving your permission, from the charity you’re collecting for
  • will need to return a financial statement declaring how much money was collected and other financial details

Letters of authority 

If you work or volunteer for a charity, you’ll need a letter of authority from a member of your charity such as the secretary or chairperson.

If you want to collect for a charity that you don't belong to, then you should contact them first and ask for a letter of authority. 

If you’re collecting for a charitable purpose and not a charity, such as a collection for an injured child in your community, you must contact us before you apply. Email the details of your collection to us at

Financial statement

You’ll have to return a financial statement within 28 days of the collection taking place.

A financial statement includes details such as:

  • costs of the collection
  • how much money was collected or the approximate value of goods

Complete and return your financial statement (GOV.UK)

Apply for house to house collection permit 

You must read the house to house collection regulation (pdf, 85KB) (opens new window) before you apply.

Apply for permit (GOV.UK)

You can upload a scanned copy or a photo of your letter of permission.

If you don’t have a scanned copy or photo of your letter of permission then you’ll be instructed on how to submit this on the GOV.UK page.

After you apply for the permit 

If you’ve not heard from us after 28 days then you can assume you have been given permission to do your collection.

Contact us to get a copy of your permit via

You must have a copy of the permit when making the collection.

Contact information

Licensing team (Temple Street)

Bristol City Council, PO Box 3399

Bristol, BS1 9NE


Tel: 0117 357 4900