Performing animals registration

Performing animals registration

Licence summary

If you exhibit, use or train performing animals, in England, Wales or Scotland, you must be registered with a local authority.

Applications must contain details about the animals and the performances they are to take part in. Applications may be subject to a fee.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period. The target completion period is 34 days, please note if there are any problems with your application this period will not commence.

Apply online

Please contact us to discuss your proposal and the fees that will be applicable. Please note the application fee is £42.33 and can be paid online.

Apply for a certificate or registration for exhibition or training of performing animals (via website)

Apply by post

Please contact us to discuss your proposal and the fees that will be applicable. Please forward payment of £42.33 with your application. Cheques should be made payable to Bristol City Council.

Application for performing animals registration (msword, 0.6 MB) (opens new window)  (word)

Applicant complaints

Please contact us in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

A police officer or officer of the local authority may make a complaint to the local magistrates' court if they feel that animals have been subject to cruelty.


 EUGO (European Union Go) gives service providers and entrepreneurs from the EU (European Union) and EEA (European Economic Area) the information and support they need to set up or do business in other EU or EEA markets. Central EUGO website portal.

Contact information

Neighbourhood Enforcement (100TS)

PO Box 3176

Bristol, BS3 9FS

Opening Hours

Our normal opening hours are:

  • Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm
  • Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm

Tel: 0117 922 2500, option 3