Petroleum storage licence


Legislation exists to control the storage of petroleum spirit. Where petroleum is stored with a view to dispensing into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine then a licence to store such spirit may be required. (Dispensing means manually or electronically pumping the spirit, rather than tipping it from a storage can).

The Dangerous Substances & Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 put in place requirements so that any risks from the storage of petroleum spirit are reduced or eliminated.

An application form for a licence is available, please contact us. Fees will be payable for a licence and conditions will be attached to a licence

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Application process

Petroleum licences are issued by Bristol City Council on the first of January for a period of one, two or three years.

The current fees and charges for 2012-13 will apply:

  • Not exceeding 2500 litres £42 per year
  • Exceeding 2500 litres and not exceeding 50000 litres £58 per year
  • Exceeding 50000 litres £120 per year

Please note if you are applying for a three year licence, multiply the yearly fee by three.

  • Transfer of licence £8
  • Replacement of licence £10

Please make cheques payable to 'Bristol City Council'.

Existing licence holders

Invitations to renew existing licences are sent at the beginning of October along with an application form or you can choose to Apply online ( website)

New applications

Applications for a new petroleum spirit storage licence can be made online (Business Link website) or to request an application form please contact us.

The application form must be fully completed and the appropriate fee paid otherwise the application will be deemed improperly made and returned to you.

Your duly made application will be determined within 30 days of receipt.

Apply by post

Please contact us for an application form.

Apply online

Apply for a licence to store petroleum ( website)

Apply to renew a licence to store petroleum ( website)

Apply to transfer your existing petroleum licence ( website)

Application complaints

Please contact us in the first instance.

If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance. Please note the Petroleum Officer needs to be informed of any accident, fire, spillage or suspected leak. You are required to give adequate notice of proposed changed to your site including equipment, ownership or closure.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaint

If you wish to make a complaint about the service you receive from Bristol City Council, please make a complaint or give feedback.

 EUGO (European Union Go) gives service providers and entrepreneurs from the EU (European Union) and EEA (European Economic Area) the information and support they need to set up or do business in other EU or EEA markets. Central EUGO website portal.

Contact information

Neighbourhood Enforcement (100TS)

PO Box 3176

Bristol, BS3 9FS

Opening Hours

Our normal opening hours are:

  • Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm
  • Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm


Tel: 0117 922 2500, option 4