Street collections permits

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in England or Wales, you require a street collection licence from us.

Depending on the location and nature of your collection you may require permission from other agencies or organisations prior to applying to us.

Regulation summary

There are a number of pieces of legislation that regulate street collections these include the Charities Act.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Please note the target completion period for street collection applications is 28 days.

How do I apply?

In Bristol permission can be granted for specific streets, areas of the city or citywide.

Please note that charities will only be granted permission to collect once in the same part of the city in a six month period, for example, you would only be granted a permit to collect in Boradmead once in a six month period. The only exception to this is the month of December where these limitations do not apply.

Only registered charities will be permitted to collect in Broadmead and a maximum of 3 collectors will be permitted in the pedestrianised area. (Please see the street collection map (pdf, 259k) (opens new window) for further details.)

It is not possible to hold a street collection in Broadmead on week days, permits will only be given for Saturdays and Sundays.

Please note that no stands, tables or other equipment will be permitted as part of a collection in Broadmead. 

Private property If you intend to collect on Private Property (eg: supermarket car parks, shopping precincts etc.) the Managers permission must be obtained before applying for a Street Collection permit. 

College Green If you wish to collect on College Green please contact Mr Andrew Phillips, Chapter Clerk, The Dean & Chapter of Bristol Cathedral College Green, Bristol, BS1 5JT nor call 0117 926 4879.

Parades, marches, walks etc through the central Bristol area Please obtain permission / agree route with the Police before applying for a Permit for collecting en route, they can be contacted on 0117 9529732.

If you have a specific date for your proposed collection you are advised to contact the Licensing Team to check this date is available prior to submitting your application.

Please forward the following documents to the Licensing Team at least 28 days prior to the proposed date of the collection:

  1. Application Form (pdf, 196k) (opens new window)  please note this form must be completed by the main promoter of the collection
  2. A letter from the charity that you wish to collect for authorising you to collect on their behalf.
  3. You may also wish to submit further information regarding the charity for information.

Please note there is no application fee required.

Apply online

Apply for a street collection permit on the website

Submit a financial return for a street collection on the website

Apply by post - Please note the Licensing Team are moving on 11 May and the address has changed

Application for street collection permit   (pdf, 196k) (opens new window)

Financial statement (pdf, 220k) (opens new window)

Apply by hand (from 11 May 2015)

Submit your application and documents to the Citizen Services Point at 100 Temple Street, Bristol City Council, Bristol BS1 3FS

What happens once I receive my permit?

You are advised to read through the regulations (pdf, 75 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 88k) (opens new window) attached to the permit and required to return a financial statement within 28 days after the collection date. 

Financial statement  (pdf, 13 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 220k) (opens new window)

 Apply online - Submit a financial return for a street collection on the website

Applicant compliants

Please contact us in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, find out about consumer rights at GOV.UK. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

   EUGO (European Union Go) gives service providers and entrepreneurs from the EU (European Union) and EEA (European Economic Area) the information and support they need to set up or do business in other EU or EEA markets. Central EUGO website portal.