Historic environment record
Historic Environment Record
The Bristol Historic Environment Record contains information about historic Bristol.
The Historic Environment Record can tell you about:
- historic buildings and monuments
- archaeological excavations and finds
- historic landscapes
The main part of the Historic Environment Record is a database with over 7000 entries containing information about monuments, excavations, finds or surveys.
The Historic Environment Record also contains copies of:
- historic maps
- aerial photographs
- archaeological fieldwork reports
Records from the Historic Environment Record are regularly swapped with Historic England’s Excavation Index.
How to access the Historic Environment Record
The majority of information from the Historic Environment Record (HER) is available on the Know Your Place web resource on the ‘Monuments’ and ‘Archaeological Reports’ layers.
You can write to us or email us to request information from the Historic Environment Record. We’ll try to respond to you within 15 working days but it might take longer. We can provide the information as GIS files, Excel spreadsheets, and Word or PDF documents.
If you need the information in a specific format such as Braille, audiotape or large print, or you’d like it to be translated, let us know when you make your enquiry.
The service to provide HER information is charged at £100 per hour.
Get more information about the Historic Environment Record by reading the guidance notes for users.
Elsewhere on the web
- Bristol and Avon Archaeological Society Go to http://bristolandavonarchaeology.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society Go to http://www.bgas.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Severn Estuary Levels Research Committee Go to http://www.selrc.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Archaeology Data Service Go to http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/ (opens new window)
- Council for British Archaeology Go to http://new.archaeologyuk.org/ (opens new window)
- English Heritage Go to http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/ (opens new window)