Dean Field Studies Centre
Dean Field Studies Centre
The Dean Field Studies Centre is a residential outdoor education centre based at Parkend in the Forest of Dean. We are owned and operated by the council’s Trading with Schools Service.
What we offer
- Outdoor Learning Activities including Outdoor Pursuits and Environmental Field Studies
- Courses for primary schools, secondary schools and corporate groups
- CPD and Inset Courses for Teachers
- Residential courses for up to 72 people
- Day visits for up to 108 students at a time
- High Challenge Activities including, Zip Wire, Climbing Tower and Leap of Faith
- Mobile events in schools specialising in team building and peer mentoring
- Conferencing and meeting room facilities
All courses are bespoke and tailor made to meet your desired outcomes. We also have experience in running Gifted and Talented Courses for clusters of schools and also in developing peer mentor training events.
Courses run right throughout the year and we manage in all weathers.
Rock climbing, abseiling, mountaineering, hill walking, caving, canoeing, kayaking, raft building, zip wire and high ropes course, gorge walking, bushcraft and orienteering. Many of these outdoor activities, including problem solving, involve teamwork as well as individual challenge.
- Activities at The Dean Field Studies Centre (pdf, 366 KB) (opens new window)
- Mobile Outdoor Learning Team Work Day in Schools (pdf, 227 KB) (opens new window)
- High Challenge Course (pdf, 169 KB) (opens new window)
We are licensed by The Adventurous Activities Licensing Authority (AALA) to provide adventurous activities that include water sports, trekking and caving/mining.
Field Studies include work with GCSE and A’ level geography students doing environmental studies such as stream and river studies and town studies.
Day events and meetings
For more information about the facilities for day events and meetings please our Dean Garden Room leaflet (pdf, 0.8 MB) (opens new window) .
Excellent value for money with 5 day residential courses starting at £155 per head and day visits at £12 per head. School based events from £8 per head.
Contact and booking
If you would like to discuss any arrangements for your course or have any other enquiries please feel free to contact either Ian Healey, Centre Manager, or Debbie Ashwood, Centre Administrator. The centre is available throughout the year.
Our contact hours are: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Telephone: 01594 562 444
Fax: 01594 564 994
Dean Field Studies Centre, Parkend Nr Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 4JA
Where we are
We are less than an hours drive from the centre of Bristol and less than 40 minutes from Gloucester.
Dean Field Studies Centre Blog: a behind the scenes look at our developments and changes