Help for young people with SEND to find work

Help for young people with SEND to find work

Information to help young adults with SEND take their first steps into work when they leave school

Who can help your child look for work

Careers advice

If your child isn’t sure what type of work they’d like and they’re aged 13 to 19, their school, college or other education provider must offer them face-to-face careers guidance. If your child hasn’t had any careers advice you can contact their education provider and ask to speak to the careers adviser.

Contact the post-16 participation team

Either you or your child can email for support with options after 16 years old. They can help with signposting to opportunities and support.  

The National Careers Service

Provides confidential and impartial advice to help young people make decisions about work. Find out how to contact the National Careers Service if your child is over 19.

Speak to a Disability employment adviser

Contact JobCentre plus and ask to speak to a disability employment adviser. They can advise your child on job seeking, training and new skills, and government schemes.

Local organisations

There are organisations in Bristol who can support your child to find work.


Supports people over 16 years old with disabilities and other disadvantages to move towards and into employment.

Ways to Work  

This is an information service to show work opportunities for anybody looking for employment.

Bristol WORKS for Everyone

An employment support service for people age 14 and over with a learning difficulty. 

Look for disability friendly employers

Employers committing to the Disability Confident scheme promise to:

  • actively look to attract and recruit disabled people
  • provide a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process
  • offer an interview to all disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the role they’ve applied for

GOV.UK has more information about the this scheme.

There are also national organisations who can help.

Specialist Employability Support 

Provides mentoring and training to help you into work if you’re disabled and can’t use other employment programmes. You can apply if you can’t get the specialist help you need from other government programmes or, such as Access to Work and Work Choice.


Leading provider of specialist employment services for disabled people.

Mencap has produced four easy-read guides for job seekers with learning disabilities. The guides cover:

  • finding a job or work experience
  • application forms and CVs
  • going to a job interview
  • starting work

Scope has employment tips and information about the law that protects disabled job seekers.

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people in England and Wales who are applying for jobs.
Phone: 0300 222 5742
Monday to Friday: 9am to 7pm.

Useful information on CVs and applying for jobs

Disablity Rights UK has information about applications and interviews.

National Autistic Society runs employment support services for adults.

Life skills and internships

Whizz Kidz offer a range of work placements and internships for young people who use wheelchairs aged 14 to 25.

Read our Guide to supported internships, apprenticeships and traineeships.

You can also find advice on getting a job on Bristol Council’s website in the Jobs and training section.

Employment rights

If your child is disabled, employers have a duty to change their procedures and remove the barriers they face because of their disability. This means your child can work and apply for jobs in the same way as somebody who’s not disabled.

The Equality Act 2010 calls this the duty to make reasonable adjustments. Find out more about what the Equality Act says employers must do under this duty on the Citizens Advice website.

Read GOV.UK’s guidance about employing disabled people and people with health conditions.