Attendance allowance

Attendance Allowance for people 65 or over

If you are aged 65 or over and have health problems, you could get Attendance Allowance (AA) to help you with living costs.

If you need help living independently, Attendance Allowance can help you with the extra costs. You can get AA to help you live at home even if you're very disabled.

Attendance Allowance is £57.30 or £85.60 per week depending on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

You could get AA if you:                                       

  • need help with personal care, for example washing, bathing or getting dressed
  • have problems seeing or hearing
  • need help with communicating
  • need someone to keep an eye on you in case of falls, fits or dizzy spells
  • have mental health problems

These needs can be during the day or at night or both

You could still get AA even if you:

  • don’t have care or a carer
  • have savings
  • have earnings or a pension
  • haven’t paid National Insurance contributions

Want to claim or find out more?

We can help you with your claim, get in touch using our online benefit claim form or ask for a benefit check.

What you can spend AA on

You don’t need to spend AA on care services. You could use it to pay for:

  • a taxi to take you to appointments or to do shopping
  • someone to do your shopping including delivery costs
  • a cleaner
  • extra heating
  • a dog walker
  • a gardener
  • an internet connection

If you already get DLA or PIP

If you were over 65 and got Disability Living Allowance (DLA) before 8 April 2013 then you'll continue to receive DLA. You don’t need to claim AA.

If you got DLA before 8 April 2013 and have since reached 65, you’ll be invited to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) at some point. It is important to respond to this invite as you payments may stop.

If you get PIP before turning 65 then you will continue to receive PIP after turning 65. You will not need to claim AA.

at some point. It is important to respond to this invite as you payments may stop.