If you're over the state pension age and have health problems, you could get Attendance Allowance (AA) to help you with living costs.

You can check your state pension age on the GOV.UK website.

If you need help living independently, Attendance Allowance can help you with the extra costs. You can get AA to help you live at home even if you're very disabled.

Attendance Allowance is paid at two different rates depending on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

You could get AA if you:

  • need help with personal care, for example washing, bathing or getting dressed
  • have problems seeing or hearing
  • need help with communicating
  • need someone to keep an eye on you in case of falls, seizures or dizzy spells
  • have mental health problems

These needs can be during the day or at night or both.

You could still get AA even if you:

  • don't have care or a carer
  • have savings
  • have earnings or a pension
  • haven't paid National Insurance contributions

Find out more

Ask us about making a new benefit claim or for a benefit check.

What you can spend AA on

You don't need to spend AA on care services. You could use it to pay for:

  • a taxi to take you to appointments or to do shopping
  • someone to do your shopping including delivery costs
  • a cleaner
  • extra heating
  • a dog walker
  • a gardener
  • an internet connection

If you already get DLA or PIP

If you were over 65 on 8 April 2013 and get Disability Living Allowance then you'll continue to receive it. You don't need to claim Attendance Allowance.

If you have been getting DLA since before 8 April 2013 and have since reached 65, you'll be invited to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP). It is important to respond to this invite as you payments may stop.

If you start to get PIP before reaching state pension age then you will continue to receive PIP after this age. You will not need to claim AA.