Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) could help with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64

PIP isn’t means tested so you can get it even if you're working or in education.

Claiming PIP won't reduce the amount of other benefits you might get. If you get PIP, other benefits you get, like Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support or Working Tax Credits may also increase.

PIP has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64. You can’t get both DLA and PIP at the same time.

Find out more about PIP for people who already get DLA.

What you’ll get

PIP has two parts (components). You can get one or both of the components:

Daily living component

This is for people who have problems with activities like washing, preparing or eating food, dressing and communicating.

You could get either £57.30 or £85.60 a week depending on the difficulties you have.

Mobility component

This is for people who have walking problems or need help getting out and about.

You could get either £22.65 or £59.75 depending on the difficulties you have.

Who can get PIP

You could get PIP if you have problems with these activities:

  • preparing food
  • eating and drinking
  • managing therapy or monitoring your health condition including taking your medication
  • washing, bathing, getting dressed
  • communicating
  • handling money
  • planning journeys
  • walking

Help with your claim

We can help you with your claim, get in touch using our online benefit claim form.  You can also request a telephone call from a welfare rights adviser.

How to claim PIP if you don't get DLA

Call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222 (textphone 0800 917 7777)
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

If you can’t make the phone call, someone who’s with you can ring.

You’ll be asked for information like

  • contact details and date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • bank or building society details
  • name of your doctor and any other health workers
  • details of any time spent abroad in the last three years, or recent stays in a hospital or care home

Read more about PIP on GOV.UK.