Register a birth
Register a birth
Book an appointment to register a birth and find out about registration and birth certificates.
To book an appointment to register a birth call: 0117 922 2800
Phone lines are open:
- Monday to Friday 8.30am to 6pm
- Closed Wednesday 12pm to 1.30pm
When and where to register
You must register a birth within 42 days of the baby being born.
You should do this at the local Register Office for the area where the baby was born. You must make an appointment.
If the baby was born in Bristol and you can't come to either of the Bristol offices below then you must make a declaration at your nearest Register Office.
If the baby wasn’t born in Bristol you can come to our offices and we'll send your details to the right office.
There are two Register Offices in Bristol:
The Bristol Register Office
The Old Council House, Corn Street, Bristol, BS1 1JG.
The entrance is on Broad Street. You can find an access guide at DisabledGo.
Southmead Register Office
Southmead Hospital, Brunel Building, Bristol, BS10 5NB.
Who can register
If you’re married or in a civil partnership:
- either parent can register the birth
- both parents will be named on the birth certificate
If you’re not married or in a civil partnership:
- the father can’t register the birth on his own, but can go with the mother
- only parents who go to the Register Office will be named on the birth certificate
When completing a registration you must check the register page carefully. When you sign the entry you're signing to say that everything is spelt correctly and a true statement.
If you fail to notice a mistake when checking and signing the registration (birth death, marriage, civil partnership) the fee to apply for a correction will be £75 or £90 depending on the correction.
This fee does not guarantee the correction can be made.
What to bring
To register the birth, you need:
- a passport or ID
- marriage or civil partnership certificate if you have it
- place and date of birth
- baby's first name, last name and sex
- parents' names and places of birth
- parents' jobs
- mother's address
- mother's maiden name
- date of the baby's parents' marriage or civil partnership
There are two types of birth certificate:
- the short version, which contains only the baby’s details
- the full version, which also contains the parents’ details
You can buy copies of the birth certificate from the Register Office at any time using our online certificate form.
Cost of certificates: £11 each
You can pay by cash, debit or credit card.