What personal information the police and other agencies can request and how to action requests.
Schedule 2 Part 1 Para. 2 or Para. 5 Data Protection Act 2018 (previously S29 Data Protection Act 1998) or Annex C Request
The police and other agencies can request access to personal information held by local authorities for specified purposes. These types of request include Schedule 2 Part 1 Para. 2 or Para. 5 Data Protection Act 2018 and 2013 Protocol, Annex C information disclosure requests
They can ask for information if it's about:
- prevention or detection of crime
- the apprehension or prosecution of offenders
- assessment or collection of tax, duty or imposition of a similar nature.
- does not give an automatic right of access to information
- states that public bodies can assess the merits of requests and decide whether or not to apply the exemption
See the Information Commissioners Office guidance about exemptions Go to https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/exemptions/ (opens new window). It includes reasons we must take into consideration when deciding whether to release information to relevant authorities.
Make a Schedule 2 Part 1 Para. 2 or Para. 5 Data Protection Act 2018 request
You need to:
- fill in document Schedule 2 disclosure request form (97 KB) or pdf Schedule 2 disclosure request form (114 KB)
- get the request signed off by an officer of the rank of inspector or above if the request is from the police
- email the form to email@example.com
Avon and Somerset Police and the Crown Prosecution Service Annex C requests
Avon and Somerset Police and the Crown Prosecution Service are party to pdf police information sharing protocol (267 KB) and can make an Annex C request for disclosure of information to support investigations of: alleged child abuse, sexual or physical, current or historical (children aged 17 and under at the time of the alleged offence).
Make an Annex C request
You need to:
- fill in document Annex C request form (20 KB) or pdf Annex C request form (227 KB)
- email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Citizens or data subjects can give signed written consent for us to disclose information. However, we must be satisfied this consent was freely given by the citizen.