Our equality policy and government legislation that we follow.
Our equality and inclusion policy
Our pdf Equity and Inclusion Strategic Framework 2023 to 2027 (1.78 MB) sets out how we will:
- tackle equalities issues
- aim to eliminate discrimination
- create good relationships between communities in Bristol
- ensure those from different backgrounds have similar life opportunities
Previous policies and reviews:
The Equality and Inclusion Policy and Strategy 2018 to 2023 was informed in part by an independent review of our equality and diversity function:
For accessible versions of the previous policy and strategy see our:
- pdf Equality and Inclusion Policy: easy read version (6.51 MB)
- Equality and Inclusion Policy: British Sign Language video with subtitles Go to (opens new window)
- pdf LGA Equality Framework for Local Government Report (EFLG) 2021 (282 KB)
- pdf LGA EFLG Recommendations Table (228 KB)
- pdf Advancing Equality and Inclusion Action Plan Closure Report (500 KB)
Annual progress reports
Our Equality and Inclusion Annual Progress Reports show what we have done to achieve the aims of our policy and strategy, and the progress we have made.
- pdf Equality and Inclusion Annual Progress Report 2022-23 (465 KB)
- pdf Equality and Inclusion Annual Progress Report 2021-22 (733 KB)
- pdf Equality and Inclusion Annual Progress Report 2020-21 (982 KB)
- pdf Equality and Inclusion Annual Progress Report 2019-20 (404 KB)
Equality Act 2010
Equalities legislation gives organisations rules about how equalities groups should be treated and guidance on how to implement these rules.
The Equality Act 2010 Go to https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/equality-act/equality-act-2010 (opens new window) provides legal protection for people in the workplace and in wider society from discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
The Equality Act 2010 also sets out nine protected characteristics or equalities groups.
The Act provides protection if you experience discrimination because of your:
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED)
The Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) Go to https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/public-sector-equality-duty (opens new window) which is set out in the Equality Act 2010 says that public bodies must aim to:
- eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
Environmental Access Standards
Our pdf Environmental Access Standards (1.91 MB) shows how to design the built environment so that its accessible for everyone.
The standards take into account local expectations of good accessible design and national changes in technical, legal and governmental guidance to promote Best Practice in environmental design.
Trans Inclusion and Gender Identity Policy
Following a public consultation in 2022, we created a pdf Trans Inclusion and Gender Identity Policy (252 KB) which outlines different protections for service users.
An easy-read version of the policy is in development and will be uploaded in due course.