What the Energy Companies Obligation is, view the latest Flexible Statement of Intent, and how to apply for support with energy costs.

We've received reports of bogus Bristol City Council officers knocking on doors and offering energy efficient home improvements. 

If you're worried that a company or individual offering these services aren't who they say they are, call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133.

Energy Companies Obligation

The Energy Companies Obligation (ECO) requires energy companies to assist in the installation of energy efficiency measures in Great Britain to low income and vulnerable households or those living in hard-to-treat (HTT) properties.

Under the ECO scheme, energy companies can spend up to a maximum of 50% of their full obligation on funding domestic energy efficiency measures for eligible households.

The ‘ECO Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent' (commonly known as the ‘ECO Flex Statement of Intent') has the assessment criteria that identifies if a household is eligible to receive a Local Authority Declaration to support their application for ECO funding.

Bristol's ECO Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent

The ECO Flex Statement of Intent reaffirms Bristol City Council's commitment to:

  • reduce the number of households in fuel poverty in Bristol
  • improve the energy efficiency of residential properties in the most cost effective way
  • maximise efficiency savings

This is part of a citywide approach to support vulnerable, low income and fuel poor citizens.

Read the current  pdf ECO4 Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent, version 3.1 (1.13 MB) .

Previous Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent

See the previous versions of the Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent:

Apply for support

You need to apply for ECO Flex through the Home Energy Team at the Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE). You can: 

The Home Energy Team provides impartial energy advice to residents of Bristol and will check ECO Flex eligibility.

Installer or managing agent 

If you're an installer or managing agent and you want to process ECO Flex declarations then you will need to contact the Centre for Sustainable Energy and sign their Code of Conduct. 

For more information, email installers@cse.org.uk

They will:

  • process the applications in line with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy's guidance
  • contact the household to check their eligibility
  • prepare the declarations for sign-off

The information will be passed to their ECO supplier according to the ECO application process.

More information

If you'd like to know more: