Flooding and storms
Flooding and storms
Find out if you’re at risk of flooding, what we’ll do to help and how to report flooding.
Call 999 in an emergency where life is in danger.
Find out if you’re at risk of flooding
Through GOV.UK, you can find out if you’re:
- at immediate risk of flooding by checking flood warnings and river and sea levels
- at risk of flooding in the next five days
- in an area that’s likely to flood
You can also sign up for flood warnings.
If flooding affects properties
If major flooding affects properties, we’ll:
- set up an evacuation centre for those affected
- use a temporary flood barrier, if suitable
We won’t provide sandbags or individual help to protect properties.
You can buy sandbags and sand from most DIY stores and builders merchants. Find out how to use sandbags to prepare for a flood on GOV.UK.
Report flooding on a road
Call us if there’s a flood on a public road that’s likely to cause an accident or injury:
- 0117 922 2100, 8.30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday
- 0117 922 2050 at all other times
Report the flood to the Highways Agency, 0300 123 5000 if it’s on a motorway or the A4 Bristol Broadway, Avonmouth.
Report a blocked or smelly street drain.
Report flooding from a sewer or a burst water main
To report flooding from a:
Report a recent property flood
Tell us (SWIM form) about a recent flood to help us understand the impact of flooding and reduce the risk in the future.
Elsewhere on the web
- GOV.UK Prepare for flooding Go to https://www.gov.uk/prepare-for-flooding/about-to-flood (opens new window)
- GOV.UK What to do before, during and after a flood Go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/flooding-what-to-do-before-during-and-after-a-flood (opens new window)
- Floods destroy, be prepared Go to https://floodsdestroy.campaign.gov.uk/ (opens new window)
- Riverside ownership, rights and responsibilities Go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/riverside-ownership-rights-and-responsibilities (opens new window)
- Bristol Flood Risk Asset Register Go to http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/bfrm (opens new window)