Flooding and storms
Flooding and storms
Find out if you’re at risk of flooding, how to better protect yourself from future flooding, what we’ll do to help and how to report flooding.
Call 999 in an emergency where life is in danger.
Consultation: River Avon flood defences
You can give us your views on our consultation hub.
Consultation closes 20 December 2020.
Find out if you’re in an area at risk of flooding
Through GOV.UK, you can find out if you’re:
- at immediate risk of flooding by checking flood warnings and river and sea levels
- at risk of flooding in the next five days
- in an area that’s likely to flood
You can also sign up for flood warnings.
Plan ahead for flooding
You can better protect yourself from future flooding by planning how you’ll respond to a flood.
For more information about what the council and partners are doing to manage the risk of flooding, go to our flood risk strategy page.
If flooding affects properties
If major flooding affects properties, we’ll:
- set up an evacuation centre for those affected
- use a temporary flood barrier, if suitable
We don’t provide sandbags or individual help to protect properties.
The Environment Agency recommend that you install Property Flood Resilience products in advance of flooding, rather than use sandbags.
How to recover after a flood
You can find guidance on helping you recover from a flood on GOV.UK. It includes:
- how to find your local flood action group or flood warden
- checking if you can return home
- cleaning and repairing your home
- getting help from Flood Support Officers by calling floodline on 0345 988 1188
Report flooding on a road
Call us if there’s a flood on a public road that’s likely to cause an accident or injury:
- 0117 922 2100, 8.30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday
- 0117 922 2050 at all other times
Report the flood to the Highways Agency, 0300 123 5000 if it’s on a motorway or the A4 Bristol Broadway, Avonmouth.
Report a problem with a drain.
Report flooding from a sewer or a burst water main
To report flooding from a:
Report a recent property flood
Tell us (FORT form) about a recent flood to help us understand the impact of flooding and reduce the risk in the future.
Elsewhere on the web
- GOV.UK Prepare for flooding Go to https://www.gov.uk/prepare-for-flooding/about-to-flood (opens new window)
- GOV.UK What to do before, during and after a flood Go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/flooding-what-to-do-before-during-and-after-a-flood (opens new window)
- Floods destroy, be prepared Go to https://floodsdestroy.campaign.gov.uk/ (opens new window)
- Riverside ownership, rights and responsibilities Go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/riverside-ownership-rights-and-responsibilities (opens new window)
- Bristol Flood Risk Asset Register Go to http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/bfrm/ (opens new window)