Bristol Eating Better Award Scheme
Bristol Eating Better Award Scheme
What is the Bristol Eating Better award, who can apply, what you need to do to earn it, how it can help your business.
Watch chef Lloyd Stoll give tips on eating better, demonstrating how BaxterStorey won their Gold award.
Bristol is an environmentally conscious city. We were the European Green Capital in 2015 and we were awarded Sustainable Food City silver status in 2017.
In a recent Bristol survey 72% of respondents said it was important to have healthier food options available when visiting a food business.
In the same survey, over two thirds of respondents said they’d pay a little more for local food which has been sourced and prepared in a way that is kinder to animals.
What is the Bristol Eating Better Award scheme
The Bristol Eating Better is a free award scheme for food businesses that offer healthier and more environmentally friendly food.
The scheme is about:
- making small changes, for example in the ingredients you use or how you prepare food
- offering a few alternatives, for example fruit or non-fizzy drinks
- adopting a few subtle techniques to encourage the selection of these alternatives, for example down pricing the healthier options
How the scheme works
We won’t ask you to completely change what you do or sell.
When you apply, we’ll ask you to take some simple actions to make your food healthier and more environmentally conscious. There will be actions you can take no matter what type of food business you have. You might already be taking some of these actions without realising! The more you do, the higher level of award you get.
It’s easy to get on board: doing just four actions will get you a Commitment Level award.
What kind of actions we’ll ask you to take
You can find a list of all the actions you can take on our summary sheet. Some examples include:
- providing free drinking water
- lowering sugar, salt, and saturated fat in some of your products
- agreeing not to promote unhealthy items
- making fruit and vegetables a part of every meal
- minimising food waste
- buying fish that isn’t on the endangered list
- buying locally produced food
Who can apply
This scheme is for food business whose main activity involves making food for direct sale to customers, for example:
- cafes and coffee shops
You need to:
- be a registered Food Business with us
- have a Food Hygiene Rating score of 4 or 5
Who isn’t eligible for the Bristol Eating Better Award
You can’t apply if you’re a business:
- in an early years or school setting
- that serves elderly people, for example a residential home
This is because these types of business have specific nutritional needs.
If you own this type of business, you can still apply for a Sugar Smart award. See the award booklet for a list of the actions (first objective on Sugar only), and email email@example.com
Before you apply
You’ll need to:
- know about the working practices of your kitchen, for example ingredients and cooking methods used
- have the authority to make the agreed changes
We’ll also you ask for an estimate of how many of these products you sold in the last year:
- sugared fizzy drinks
- fresh fruit
- fresh salad
- white bread
This can be in terms of money or units.
You can see a list of the questions on our summary sheet.
Apply for the scheme
Use our online form to apply.
What happens next
After you submit your application, we’ll calculate the results and get in touch with you within a month.
If you’re successful, we’ll send you an award pack with:
- a window sticker for your business
- a certificate listing all the actions you’re going to take
- a logo to use on your website or elsewhere
We’ll also add your business to the award webpage and promote it over our social media channels.
We’ll also give you access to other electronic resources to help your business be as environmentally friendly as possible.
How long the award is for
The award lasts for one year. Before your award runs out, we’ll send you a reminder email so you can re-apply. We’ll also send you your previous application to check what you previously agreed to.
How the scheme can help your business
The Bristol Eating Better Award scheme was created to:
- help Bristol food businesses meet the increasing demand for healthier and more environmentally friendly food
- save Bristol food business owners money
- promote better health and environmentally conscious food consumption in Bristol
Research suggests that similar schemes have had a positive impact on businesses.
Why this is important for Bristol
With the majority of adults being overweight or obese in Bristol and a real issue with tooth decay in children, this award scheme can help by increasing the availability of healthier food and drink options for everyone, especially as everyone is eating out more.
We hope that this award will help businesses to become more environmentally friendly and help us to achieve gold.
Current award holders
See the list of cafes and restaurants that have won a Bristol Eating Better Award by offering healthy food in Bristol:
If you’d like to apply but need more help, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0117 352 1419.
Our ability to respond is limited, and businesses will be prioritised.
Keep up to date