Self build and custom housing

Join the self-build and custom house building register, find out about the Bristol Community Land Trust and funding for community led projects.

Custom build housing is where a builder is contracted by a home owner to create a ‘custom built’ property or where a private individual builds a home as a DIY ‘self-build’ project.

This can include:

  • single detached homes on small plots
  • community self-build projects
  • blocks of apartments commissioned by a group of people in an urban area.

Join the self-build and custom house building register

If you're interested in self-building, you can apply to join the local register. We need to understand and estimate the demand for custom and self-building in our local area. We'd like to know how many Bristol citizens are interested in building their own home and the help they'll need to do this.


Register online if you're:

  • an individual
  • in a couple, only one of you needs to register
  • a member of a household, only one of you needs to register

Register as an individual

Guidance notes for individuals (pdf, 135k) (opens new window)


If you're would like to register as an association, download and complete our Word document.

Register as an association (word doc, 67k) (opens new window)

Complete the form and email to or post to Strategic City Planning (CH), Self-build and custom housebuilding register, PO Box 3176, Bristol, BS3 9FS.

Guidance notes for associations (pdf, 326k) (opens new window)

Bristol Community Land Trust (BCLT)

We set up the Bristol Community Land Trust with members of the public.

BCLT’s first self-build project will be the redevelopment of a council site at 325 Fishponds Road.  This includes the refurbishment of an old school building and new build housing. You can find out more about the 325 Fishponds development on the BCLT website.

For more information on the work BCLT is doing, email Bridget Petty at

Funding for community led projects

The Homes and Communities Agency has funding opportunities for community led projects. Find out about the Custom Build Serviced Plots Loan Fund at GOV.UK.