Oporto and Bristol
Oporto and Bristol
The Bristol Oporto Association (BOA) has an active membership and runs an ongoing social programme including:
- wine and port tastings
- a biennial members’ visit to Porto
In the intervening years, we're happy to welcome our members from Porto here in Bristol.
The Bristol Oporto Foundation (BOF) can offer small grants in support of many varied individual or group projects that have links with or are connected to Porto or Portugal. In recent times, these have included:
- support for a Porto street artist’s participation in Upfest
- Porto photographers taking part in Bristol competition events
- the making of a film, with a Portuguese production team and musicians, called ‘767 Miles to Bristol’ which linked the history of wine, the River Douro and Atlantic Ocean with Bristol’s past trade
At New Year, it supported young people taking part in the local Bedminster Street Parade, where Portuguese themed lanterns had been designed and crafted. We're always looking for new projects to support.
The BOF also has a dedicated Education Fund for projects and exchanges with Bristol schools, both in the Primary and Secondary sector. A ‘Portugal Day’ that fits within the International curriculum has been run successfully over recent years with several primary schools. Currently, there's a joint inter-schools pin-hole camera project underway with secondary age pupils from St Mary Redcliffe School and Escola Rio Tinto near Porto.
The Foundation has awarded a small grant to a Bristol University Hispanics Department student attending a Porto University and more grants may be offered in the future. Together with Associacao Porto Bristol (APB), our sister organisation, the Foundation has over recent years helped fund several Porto University students to attend English study courses here in Bristol.
Ms Liz Gamlin
Find out more
Elsewhere on the web
- Oporto City Council Go to http://www.cm-porto.pt/ (opens new window)
- Oporto Official Tourism Site Go to http://www.portoturismo.pt/ (opens new window)
- Jornal de Noticias Go to http://www.jn.pt/paginainicial/ (opens new window)
- Portugal Tourism Go to http://www.visitportugal.com/en (opens new window)