Book a building regulations site inspection
To make sure your building works comply with building regulations, you must give us notice when your work reaches a particular stage, we’ll then carry out an inspection
You're legally required under the building regulations to tell us when you'll start your building works. We'll tell you of other stages of your project that you're required to let us know to inspect, up to and including the completed works.
How to give us notice and book a site inspection
Other ways to give notice
- write to Building Regulations and Standards, City Hall, Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176 Bristol, BS3 9F
- telephone 0117 922 3000
Stages when you need a site inspection
Depending on the project type, typical stages when we may say that you need to tell us, are listed below. Not all stages will be relevant to some works.
- When you start work (commencement).
- Excavation for foundations.
- Damp proof course laid.
- Oversite ready for concreting (with damp proof membrane laid if appropriate).
- Drains laid and visible for checking layout and construction.
- Drains backfilled and ready for testing for water tightness.
- Structural timbers.
- First fix/insulation.
- Occupation, normally only relevant when part of a building is finished, for example a flat.
- Completion of the whole job.
Some jobs need extra inspections like reinforcement of concrete structures, or fire protection.
We may carry out more than one inspection on a visit and call at other times to check on the work in progress.
We’ll send you an invoice for the inspection fee after the first site visit. This fee covers all further inspections.
The completion inspection must be carried out before your builder has finished and left the site.
You’ll be responsible for the completion of any corrections to the work.
We’ll give you a completion certificate if all relevant site inspections have been carried out and the works comply with building regulations or approved plans.
Building Regulations and Standards
Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176
Bristol, BS3 9FS
Appointments are at:
Tel: 0117 922 3000