Demolition of buildings

If you plan to demolish a building or part of a building, you must let us know, giving us at least six weeks’ notice

How to give notice of an intended demolition

Fill in the demolition notice form.

You’ll need to include a 1:1250 site location plan.
You must not start work until we've issued a demolition notice, or six weeks has expired since we received your notice form.

The demolition notice will include requirements and conditions that set out how the demolition should be carried out.

You may also need to get planning permission or prior approval to demolish a building.  

Find out more about demolition on the Planning Portal website.

When you don’t need to give us notice

You don’t need to tell us if you’re planning to demolish:

  • an internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and it is intended that it should continue to be occupied
  • a building smaller than 50m3 (external volume)
  • a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage, where they form part of a larger building
  • an agricultural building, unless it forms part of a building with other uses

Contact information

Building Regulations and Standards

Brunel House, 2nd floor, Brunel Wing

Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176

Bristol, BS3 9FS

Opening Hours

Opening Hours

We operate 'appointment only' visits to this office.  Please telephone 0117 922 3000 to book an appointment.

If you have queries about a specific application, please telephone before 10.30am. 

Visiting address:
Brunel House
St George's Road


Tel: 0117 922 3000