The Energy Service
The Energy Service
How we’re meeting our green targets and achieving the objectives set out in the One City Plan, our Corporate Strategy, and the Mayor’s manifesto commitments.
We deliver energy and infrastructure projects that benefit the social, economic and environmental health of our city, our partners, and the region through our Energy Service.
The projects include:
- renewable installations
- energy efficiency for council buildings
- low carbon heat networks for social housing
- smart energy
- marine energy
- managing the council’s energy usage as an organisation
Our achievements in Bristol
Our Energy Service is creating a clean energy strategy to benefit local communities.
So far, the Energy Service has:
- helped over 2,000 private and council-owned homes to become warmer and healthier through upgrades to their energy efficiency
- delivered a multimillion pound solar investment programme on our corporate and community buildings, by installing over 8 Megawatts (MW) of solar PV across the city, enough to power 8000 homes
- established a best-practice community energy fund, to support over 50 local community groups with sustainability and energy efficiency projects
- invested nearly £2m in energy efficiency refurbishments across council-owned buildings, which helps us save £1m annually on our energy bills
- become the UK’s first local authority to build and manage our own large-scale wind turbines, having created a 6.8MW council owned and managed solar and wind farm in Avonmouth which could generate enough clean energy to power over 14,000 homes
- launched the first section of our low-carbon and lower-cost heat network in Redcliffe and Temple Quarter, as well as several mini heat networks for social housing across the city
- met and exceeded our target to reduce carbon emissions by 60%, three years early
We’ve committed to Bristol becoming a carbon neutral city by the year 2050.
Energy efficiency help for residents and businesses
The Energy Service has a range of services available to both residents and businesses that can help to reduce energy bills and improve the energy efficiency of homes and premises.
For more information: