Where you can get the latest information if there's an emergency.
What is an emergency
An emergency can include:
- heavy snow and ice
- flooding and storms
- a hazardous chemical incident
- a terrorist attack
- pandemic flu
Where to find information
The safest thing to do in a major emergency or severe weather is to follow instructions from the emergency services.
You can get information from local radio, TV and the internet.
- BBC Radio Bristol Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiobristol (opens new window), 94.9FM and 104.6FM
- Heart Go to http://www.heart.co.uk/bristol/ (opens new window), 96.3FM
- Hits Radio Go to https://planetradio.co.uk/hits-radio/bristol/ (opens new window), 106.5FM
- Greatest Hits Radio, 107.2FM
- BBC Points West Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006pft9 (opens new window)
- ITV West Go to http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/ (opens new window)
We'll post information on our homepage, in our newsroom Go to https://news.bristol.gov.uk/ (opens new window), and on Twitter Go to https://twitter.com/BristolCouncil (opens new window).
Information will also be available from BBC Bristol Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/bristol (opens new window) and Avon and Somerset Police Go to https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/newsroom/ (opens new window).
You can find weather warnings on:
- Met Office - severe weather warnings Go to http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1479254400 (opens new window)
- BBC - weather Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2654675 (opens new window)
To find out if a school is closed, see our schools closures page.
Find out if your bins and recycling collection has been affected.
See roads and pavements in severe winter weather for information about gritting and snow clearance.
Severe weather travel updates are available from Travel West Go to https://travelwest.info/ (opens new window) and Travel West on Twitter Go to https://twitter.com/travelwestEng (opens new window). This covers buses, park and ride, trains and the roads.
Buses and trains
Bus and train service updates are also available from:
- First Bus Go to https://twitter.com/firstbsa (opens new window), including First bus and park and ride information
- Great Western Railway Go to https://twitter.com/GWRHelp (opens new window)
- National Express Go to https://twitter.com/nxupdates (opens new window)
Information about traffic delays is available from Traffic England Go to http://www.trafficengland.com/ (opens new window).
Contact your provider for service updates: