Apply to add or change a property name or make a different change to an address.
You can apply to:
- add a name to a property that has a number
- change the name of a property
- make a different change to an address
To apply for street names and property numbers for new residential and commercial properties, see register a new address.
New and amended addresses much conform to our pdf street naming and property numbering policy (124 KB) . Names must not be offensive or cause confusion. For example, a property must not have a similar name to another one on the same street.
If you add a name to a property that already has a number:
- the number will still need to included
- the address will function without the name
If you ask for a major change, such as changing the street name, Royal Mail might also give your property a new postcode.
To make a change to an address, you must:
- own the property, if the property is residential
- have authority or permission from the owner, if the property is commercial
It costs £24 to make a change to an address.
After you apply
- respond to your application within 15 working days
- confirm if we agree with the address applied for, propse any changes if needed, or, if we can't make a change, explain why
- confirm the cost
We might ask you for more information.
If we can make a change to the address, when we've agreed the new address, we'll:
- give the details to Royal Mail
- email you an invoice, with details on how to pay
For major changes, the new address will be confirmed before we send an invoice.
We'll also give the new address to:
- other council departments, including Electoral Services, Waste Services, and Council Tax
- emergency services
- HM Land Registry
- Valuation Office Agency
- Ordnance Survey
- National Land and Property Gazetteer
- Bristol Water
- BT Openreach
Queries about a new postcode or mail delivery
If you have any queries about a new postcode or mail delivery, contact the Royal Mail.
Contact us about street naming and numbering
Street Naming and Numbering
Bristol City Council
PO Box 3399
Bristol BS1 9NE