If you are interested in becoming a School Governor we would be delighted to hear from you. Information on what school governors do and how to apply can be found on the ' Becoming a Governor' pages.
The Governor Development Service is here to support governors, clerks and headteachers and help them carry out their roles effectively.
We provide advice, support and development opportunities through:
- an advice helpline and website
- a regular monthly and termly bulletin and newsletter
- a centrally-based training programme
- school based training
- placement of potential LA governors.
Documents and guidance for Clerks to governing bodies can be found in ' Clerking the governing body'.
Guidance to governors, including information packs, good practice templates, reports and policies and inspection information can be found in 'Governors' responsibilities'.
Information relating to the Governor development service training sessions and subscriptions can be found in ' Training and support'.
Elsewhere on the web
- Department for Education Go to http://www.education.gov.uk/ (opens new window)
- Ofsted Go to http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/ (opens new window)
- Safer Recruitment On-line Training Go to http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130123124929/http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/healthandwellbeing/safeguardingchildren/b00203550/safer-recruitment-training/online (opens new window)
- National Governors Associations Go to http://www.nga.org.uk/ (opens new window)
- Bristol Governors handbook May 2011 (pdf, 1.4 MB) (pdf, 1.4MB) View file Bristol Governors handbook May 2011 (pdf, 1.4 MB) (opens new window)
- Chair of governors handbook (pdf, 0.5 MB) (pdf, 518k) View file Chair of governors handbook (pdf, 0.5 MB) (opens new window)
- Chair of governors handbook - appendix (msword, 361 KB) (doc, 361k) View file Chair of governors handbook - appendix (msword, 361 KB) (opens new window)
- Succession Planning for your Governing Body (pdf, 201 KB) (pdf, 202k) View file Succession Planning for your Governing Body (pdf, 201 KB) (opens new window)