Free school travel
Some children can get free travel to school, depending on age, distance from school and other factors. Find out if your child is eligible and how to apply.
If your child is going to their nearest school
All children who go to their nearest school are eligible for free travel if:
- they’re under 8 years old and the school is more than 2 miles away
- they’re between 8 and 16 years old and the school is more than 3 miles away
If you’re on a low income
Children in low income families can get free travel if:
- they’re under 11 years old and the school is more than 2 miles away
- they’re aged between 11 and 16, attend any one of the three nearest suitable schools, and the school is between 2 and 6 miles away
- they’re aged between 11 and 16, you’ve chosen a school because of religion, and the school is between 2 and 15 miles away
You count as being on a low income if your child qualifies for free school meals or you’re on the maximum level of Working Tax Credit.
If you’re in temporary accommodation
Children who have been moved to temporary local authority accommodation, such as a bed and breakfast, can get free travel for up to two terms so they can keep going to the same school as before. You also need to be on a low income.
If your child has special educational needs, an Education Health and Care Plan or a disability
If your child goes to the nearest school and is unable to walk then we may be able to help with travel. This may include mileage, a walking buddy or travel in a vehicle.
How free travel is provided
Free travel could mean having a bus pass or rail pass or getting paid for mileage driven by parents or carers. You may also be given an escort for walking or on public transport.
Apply for free travel
If your child is under 16, fill in the application form (word doc, 133k) (opens new window) and email or post it back to the Home to School Travel team.
If your child is over 16 and is unable to walk, fill in the post-16 application form (word doc, 55k) (opens new window) and email or post it back to the Home to School Travel team.
Replacement scholar season ticket
There is a charge of £10 to replace your bus pass if it has been lost or stolen.
To apply for a replacement pass, pay online and we will send you a replacement pass.