Child employment

Child employment

Children can be employed in certain occupations from 13 to 16 years old (or until the child reaches Statutory Leaving Age). They will need a work permit and this is free from the local authority.

Q&As (pdf, 18 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 19k) (opens new window)

Work permits information (pdf, 18 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 18k) (opens new window)

Prohibited employment for children (pdf, 19 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 19k) (opens new window)

Work permit application (pdf, 136 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 136k) (opens new window)

Part time work for children: hours of work that are allowed

Child licensing

Children who perform on stage, in television, film or commercial work, who take part in paid or professional sport or who work as models need to be licensed by their local authority for such performances if:

  • they are paid or, 
  • they require absence from school or, 
  • they will perform for more than four days within a period of six months.

Licences should be applied for by the production company.

Children in entertainment Q&As (pdf, 26 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 26k) (opens new window)

Is a licence required? (pdf, 43 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 44k) (opens new window)

Child Performance Application Form (May 2015) (pdf, 384 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 385k) (opens new window)


Children who take part in licensed performances must be supervised by a responsible adult known as a Matron (chaperone). (pdf, 24k) (opens new window)

The duties of a chaperone (pdf, 71 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 71k) (opens new window)

Children in entertainment information booklet (pdf, 345 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 346k) (opens new window)

We're currently reviewing the chaperone application process and if you have any queries please contact our Child Employment and Licensing Officer on 0117 352 1376.

Contact information

Education Welfare Service

Romney House

Romney Avenue

Bristol, BS7 9TB

Opening Hours

Opening Hours

Mon to Thurs: 8.30am to 4.30pm
Fri:  8.30am to 4pm

A duty Welfare Officer is available to answer queries:
Mon to Thurs: 3pm to 4.30pm
Fri: 3pm to 4pm.

Tel: 0117 352 1438 or 0117 352 1454

Fax: 0117 352 1096