The quality of life in Bristol
The quality of life in Bristol
What the Bristol Quality of Life survey is, the latest data from the 2020/21 survey and results of previous surveys
The Quality of Life (QoL) survey provides an annual snapshot of the quality of life in Bristol.
Quality of Life survey 2020/21
The Quality of Life 2020/21 Report (pdf, 827KB) (opens new window) shows 50 headline measures of the lived experiences for people in Bristol, including how these changed and how experiences differ in the most deprived areas.
In addition, this now includes a summary from over 7,000 comments on “actions to improve quality of life” that people want to see in Bristol.
Full 2020/21 results are now available via the Quality of Life 2020/21 data dashboard.
This dashboard includes all 165 Quality of Life indicators, with results for:
- Citywide trend (with data since 2015 where available)
- all 34 Bristol Wards
- the 10 deciles of Deprivation across Bristol
- an expanded range of Equality and Demographic groups (where available), now also including data by:
- Ethnicity by broad group
- Housing tenure
- Qualification level
- Parents / Single parents
Bristol’s Quality of Life survey
The Quality of Live survey gives local residents an opportunity to voice their opinions about issues close to their hearts and their views on local public services. It has been an annual survey since 2001, but does change over time. The statistics are analysed to a ward level and also equality groups such as age, sex and ethnicity.
The results are used by the council, health service and other public sector partners to help plan local services, track change and improve the quality of life in Bristol. The survey is the council's main tool for providing neighbourhood level statistics and public perception information.
The quality of life results cover topics such as:
- local services
- public perception about living in Bristol
Quality of Life survey 2019/20
The Quality of Life 2019/20 final (pdf, 645KB) (opens new window)report includes 50 headline measures plus a supplementary document on results for equality groups and wards for these, and analysis of changes people want to see in Bristol.
The Quality of Life 2019/20 data dashboard (Open Data Bristol) has the full 200 Quality of Life indicators, including:
- data by ward
- equality groups
- areas of deprivation for all indicators (where possible)
The raw data is available via the red 'access to data' buttons in the dashboard, along with more information on the questions and how the indicators are calculated.
Previous Quality of Life results
Download the Quality of Life 2018/19 report (pdf, 509KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 509KB) (opens new window) , as well as the full Quality of Life 2018/19 data results in Open Data Bristol.
There are over 200 indicators, with most data available by ward, equality group and areas of deprivation.
The Quality of Life statistics for 2005 to 2017 are also still available:
- download the Quality of Life 2017/18 report (pdf, 483KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 483KB) (opens new window)
- See full results from the last three years in the Open Data Bristol data dashboards
- download 2015-16 QoL database tool v3 (all indicators) (xlsm, 7.4MB) (opens new window) (MS Excel required). This database contains all indicators from the 2015-16 survey, plus trend data for Bristol from 2010, with confidence intervals. More technical information and guidance is provided in the tool.
- download 2005 to 2013 QoL database (spreadsheet, 14.5MB) (opens new window) (MS Excel required). This database contains data from 2005 to 2013. Due to changes to the process, 2010-2013 figures may be different.
- Quality of Life in Bristol 2015 to 2016 report (pdf, 6.4MB) (opens new window)
- Quality of Life in Bristol 2014 - 15 report (pdf, 7.0 MB) (pdf, 4.4MB) (opens new window)
- Quality of Life in Bristol 2013 - 14 report (pdf, 7.0 MB) (pdf, 7MB) (opens new window)
- Quality of Life in Bristol 2012 - 13 report (pdf, 6.3 MB) (pdf, 6.3MB) (opens new window)
- Quality of Life in Bristol 2011 - 12 report (pdf, 2.6 MB) (pdf, 2.6MB) (opens new window)
- Quality of Life in Bristol 2010 - 11 report (pdf, 7.1 MB) (pdf, 7.1MB) (opens new window)
- Quality of Life in Bristol 2009_0.pdf (pdf, 1.7MB) (opens new window)