Find out about playing out on your street

Find out about playing out on your street

Playing out lets residents close a street so children can play without the danger and inconvenience of traffic going through.

Apply for a Temporary Play Street Order: TPSO

To apply for playing out on your street, you need a Temporary Play Street Order: TPSO.

You can apply to shut your street as often as once a week for up to three hours.

You need to apply at least six weeks before your first playing out session.

Apply for a Temporary Play Street Order


You’ll need to send us:

Residents must be allowed access by vehicle at all times and arrangements need to be made to get barriers and signs in place. We have a list of suppliers (pdf, 57KB) (opens new window) you can use.

Your TPSO is valid for 12 months from the start date.

Make an objection

If you have an objection or comment about playing out in your street, first of all speak to the person who sent the residents’ consultation letter.

Contact if your concerns are not resolved.

We update our street play road closures report (pdf, 49KB) (opens new window) every Monday and Thursday.

Help to organise your event

The Playing Out website has more information on how to organise your playing out events.