Register to vote if you live abroad

Register to vote if you live abroad

If you’re a British Citizen living abroad, you can vote at UK national elections and referendums.

You can’t vote in local council, Mayoral or Police and Crime Commissioner elections.

You’ll need to have been registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years.

Register to vote
on the GOV.UK website

How to vote

If you’re living abroad you can vote by post. Check that postage times will allow enough time to receive and return your ballot papers.

You can also ask someone to vote on your behalf. This is called a proxy vote.

Privacy Notice

Read our privacy statement and our Electoral Services privacy notice to see what we do with your personal information.