Family violence and abuse

Family violence and abuse

What to do if you or someone you know is a victim of family violence or abuse, how to report it and get help.

Emergency support

If you are in danger in your home, please leave and seek help. Call 999 in an emergency.

If you need urgent police help through the 999 service but can't speak

Call 999, you'll be connected to a phone operator who will ask which service you need.

On a mobile:

  • if you can’t speak but the operator hears something suspicious, they’ll connect you to a police call handler
  • if you can make some noise, whispering for example, the operator will connect you to the police
  • if you can’t speak, and the operator can ’t tell what service you need, they’ll transfer you to the Silent Solution system. This runs a 20 second automated message, and that will ask you to press 55, to be put through to the police

Support for women and children experiencing domestic abuse

Freephone, 24 hour National domestic abuse helpline
Call: 0808 2000 247

Abuse and violence  support and information on the Bristol City Council website.


Specialist domestic abuse services for women and children in Bristol

Call 0117 925 0680

Avon and Somerset Victim Support 

Avon and Somerset Victim Support give emotional and practical help to people who have been affected by crime in Avon and Somerset

Call:  0300 303 1972.

Bristol Against Violence and Abuse (BAVA)

BAVA gives information about different types of violence and abuse and the support services that can help you or others experiencing violence and abuse.


Women's Aid

Women’s Aid work with woman suffering from domestic violence. They can help with:

  • Drug and alcohol abuse
  • Housing issues
  • Mental Health issues
  • Emotional abuse
  • Children issues
  • Health issues
  • Domestic violence
  • Parenting support
  • Pregnancy
  • Forced marriage
  • Women in prison
  • Older women's health

Call: 0808 200 0247

Site Map