Help with money problems, benefits and work permits, for the GRT community.
For information about debt and money management or benefits you can contact your local gypsy and traveller drop-in centre.
You can get information and help if you're struggling to manage your money or have debt problems
Preventing money problems
Local services can give you advice about budgeting and money management:
- Talking Money Go to https://www.talkingmoney.org.uk/ (opens new window) is a free, independent services in the South West
- Welfare Rights and Money Advice Service open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings, 8.30am to 1pm. Call: 0117 35 21888.
- Money Advice Service Go to https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en (opens new window) has advice and guides to help improve your finances
- Money Saving Expert debt plan Go to https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan/ (opens new window) has advice about debt
Savings and loans
Bristol Credit Union Go to https://www.bristolcreditunion.org/ (opens new window) is a not-for-profit co-operative, helping local people save and borrow at fair rates.
Dealing with debt
Search the ACFA advice network to find local organisations to give you benefits and debt advice.
- National Debtline Go to https://www.nationaldebtline.org/ (opens new window) offers free help and advice on dealing with your debt
- Stepchange Go to https://www.stepchange.org/ (opens new window) offers help to deal with debt problems and practical debt solutions
Citizens Advice Bureau
Get help with legal, money and other problems, free, independent and confidential advice.
Drop-in on Mondays to Fridays 9:30am to 1pm
Bristol Citizens Advice, 12 Broad Street, Bristol, BS1 2HL
Call: 0844 499 4718
Benefits give practical help and financial support if you're unemployed and looking for work. You may also get extra income when your earnings are low, if you're bringing up children, are retired, care for someone, are ill or have a disability.
Benefits you may be able to claim include:
- Housing Benefit Go to https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit (opens new window)
- Universal Credit Go to https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit (opens new window)
- Disability Allowance Go to https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-living-allowance-benefit?msclkid=9286e119c6fa11ec8f703d0d611e100d (opens new window)
- Council tax discount or exemption
- Sickness benefits
- Carer's Allowance Go to https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance (opens new window)
To get help claiming benefits you can visit the Citizen Service Point (CSP) at Bristol City Council.
At a CSP you can:
- pay council tax and rent
- discuss tenancy issues
- hand in documents
- get help filling in forms
- report noise or antisocial behaviour
- apply for a bus pass (travelcard) or blue badge
If you're self-employed in the Bristol area you may need a permit to work.
If you're a scrap metal dealer you'll need to apply for a scrap metal dealer licence
If you're selling goods door to door you'll need to apply for a pedlar's certificate Go to https://www.gov.uk/pedlars-certificate (opens new window) which lets you sell goods. You must be over 17 to apply.