Green recycling box
Green recycling box
Find out what you can and can’t put in your green recycling box
Don't put your recyclable items in a black bag or bin liner as they will not be taken away.
You can put in:
- aerosols: empty, without lids
- plastic drinks bottles including: milk, squash, cola, ketchup
- plastic toiletry bottles including: shampoo, cleanser, shower gel
- plastic cleaning bottles including: bleach, washing up liquid
- bottle tops, lids and caps: metal and plastic
- cans: rinsed and squashed food and drink cans
- foil and takeaway containers: rinsed and squashed
- plastic yogurt pots, ice cream and margarine tubs, rinsed
- plastic trays: meat, fruit, biscuit
You can’t put in:
- black plastic: our machines can’t sort black plastic
- bin liners: reuse or put in your black wheelie bin
- bubble wrap: reuse or put in your black wheelie bin
- carrier/plastic bags: use them to line your food caddy or take them to your local supermarket for recycling
- cellophane: put in your black wheelie bin
- cling film: put in your black wheelie bin
- crisp packets: put in your black wheelie bin
- hard plastics (flower pots, toys, videos, drain pipes): take them to your local recycling centre or a charity shop
- light bulbs: take to your local recycling centre
- polystyrene: put in your black wheelie bin
- wrapping paper, such as Christmas paper
Check our Recycling centres finder for other places to recycle.
Using your green recycling box
Separate your cardboard from your cans and plastics.
Use the lid on your box to stop the contents blowing away.
If your box is full put extra recycling in untied carrier bags sorted by material such as a bag for plastic, a bag for cans. Don’t use black bags or bin liners.
Rinse and flatten plastic packaging and tetra paks.
Rinse food cans and tin foil containers.
Paint or stick your house number on the side of your green recycling box so we can tell which property the box has come from. It may also prevent people from taking a box that is not theirs. You can email Bristol Waste Company to request free stickers for labeling your box.
You can have as many green recycling boxes as you need. Order an extra green recycling box.
If you havn't got a blue bag yet :
Flatten and fold all cardboard, even excess cardboard, to a size no bigger than your green box for us to collect it.
If cardboard isn't flattened and folded it will not fit the opening on the side of the recycling wagon.
Put all excess cardboard beside the green recycling box.
Cardboard can be placed in another cardboard box to hold it all together.
If you have a lot of cardboard, put it out over several weeks or take it to a waste recycling centre for free.