Household waste recycling centres - permit scheme
Reuse and recycling centres - permit scheme
Get a permit for your van, pick-up or towing trailer over 1.52metres (5 feet), to take waste and recycling to your local tip
The reuse and recycling centres at St Philips and Avonmouth are only open to:
- small vans
- campervans with fixed seats in the back
- Blue Badge holders
Small vans will need a permit.
You can only go to the recycling centre on certain days, based on the last number on your vehicle’s number plate. Find more information on our tips and recycling centre page.
Large vans, pickups, trailers or vehicles with bulkheads are not allowed.
Any vehicle similar in size or bigger than a Volkswagen Transporter will be considered a large van and not allowed access.
These restrictions will remain in place while social distancing is required
It’s illegal to bring business, trade or construction waste to the recycling centres.
The tip is also known as the reuse and recycling centre (RRC)
Conditions of use
- Owner must live in the Bristol City Council area
- Waste must be from your own home
- You can’t get a permit for a business vehicle
Apply or reapply for your permit
You can apply for a permit online using a Bristol Waste Company form.
To apply online you’ll need an electronic copy of:
- all pages of your Vehicle Registration Document (V5 log book)
- your photo card driving licence
- a recent Council Tax or utility bill
Apply by post
You can also apply using our HWRC permit form (word doc, 178KB) (opens new window)
You’ll need to provide a copy of your:
- Vehicle Registration Document (V5 log book, all pages)
- your photo card driving licence or a valid paper licence
- Council Tax or utility bill from the last three months
Send the completed form to:
If you can't print off a form then call BWC on 0117 304 9580 and they'll send you an application form.
The permit allows:
- Disposal of household waste only
- 12 visits within 12 months of issue date
- Vehicles up to 2.4 metres high. Vehicles exceeding this height will need to use our Avonmouth centre on a Saturday morning from 8am to 11am
For details of what you can and can’t dispose of at the Household Waste Recycling Centre see our tips page.
Checks on permit use
To enter the tip you will need to present on arrival your permit, and details of the type of waste in your vehicle.
If we suspect the waste is not from your own home, or that the permit is being misused, we may cancel your permit or take legal action.
If you arrive in a Car Club or Zipvan vehicle you will only be asked for proof of address (preferably council tax bill or driving licence) to be able to use the site.
Damaged and lost permits
Send us your damaged permit, explaining why it needs replacing. We will send you a new permit.
Write to us to tell us your permit is lost, giving us your name and address. We will send you a new permit with one visit taken off for each month since the issue date.