Household waste recycling centres - permit scheme
Get a permit for your van, pick-up or towing trailer over 1.52metres (5 feet), to take waste and recycling to your local tip
The tip is also known as the Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC)
Conditions of use
- Owner must live in the Bristol City Council area
- Waste must be from your own home
- You can’t get a permit for a business vehicle
Apply or reapply for your permit
Send the completed form to:
To apply by post call BWC on 0117 304 9580 and they'll send you an application form.
You’ll need to provide a copy of:
- Vehicle Registration Document (V5 log book, all pages)
- Your photo card driving licence or a valid paper licence
- Council Tax or utility bill from the last three months
The permit allows:
- Disposal of household waste only
- 12 visits within 12 months of issue date
- Access Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday only, during normal opening hours
- Vehicles up to 2.4 metres high. Vehicles exceeding this height will need to use our Avonmouth centre on a Saturday morning from 8am to 11am
For details of what you can and can’t dispose of at the Household Waste Recycling Centre see our tips page.
Checks on permit use
To enter the tip you will need to present on arrival your permit, and details of the type of waste in your vehicle.
If we suspect the waste is not from your own home, or that the permit is being misused, we may cancel your permit or take legal action.
If you arrive in a Car Club or Zipvan vehicle you will only be asked for proof of address (preferably council tax bill or driving licence) to be able to use the site. Vans are allowed on site Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Damaged and lost permits
Send us your damaged permit, explaining why it needs replacing. We will send you a new permit.
Write to us to tell us your permit is lost, giving us your name and address. We will send you a new permit with one visit taken off for each month since the issue date.