For finance to start or expand your enterprise in the Bristol area, as well as banks, other possible sources of funding include:
- Better Business Finance: brings a wide range of finance providers across Britain into one place
- British Business Bank: works with over 80 finance partners to unlock finance for smaller businesses
- Creative England: supports digital creative companies through the provision of interest-free business loans
- Fredericks Foundation: runs a microloan fund for people who are starting or expanding businesses
- South West Investment Group: a not-for-profit organisation supporting small and medium sized businesses
- Start-up Loans: a UK Government-funded scheme
Business rates relief
Any business ratepayer who occupies a single property where the rateable value (RV) is less than £12,000 is entitled to business rate relief on a tapered basis.
Properties with a rateable value of up to £6,000 get 100% relief, and for properties with a rateable value between £6,000 and £12,000, relief goes down gradually from 100% at £6,000 to 0% at £12,000.
If your rateable value is between £12,000 and £18,000, you’re considered a small business and you’ll pay lower rates even if you don’t get small business rate relief. This is because your rates are worked out using the small business multiplier.
You don’t need to apply for this. We’ll automatically adjust your business rates if you qualify.
Further information on Business Rates Relief can be found on the Business Rates pages.
Business rate discounts for small businesses
If you occupy a building with a rateable value under £12,000 you can get a discount on business rates, called small business rate relief.
You can find more info on our business rate discounts for small businesses page.