Reporting fraud

If you suspect fraud, report it. We'll keep your report confidential, or you can report anonymously.

Report tenancy fraud

Do you know someone in a council or housing association home who:

  • rents it out without permission?
  • got the home by giving false information?
  • is living somewhere else? Someone else may be living at the property or it may just be empty

Then they are guilty of tenancy fraud.

What you can do

If you suspect someone of tenancy fraud please contact us:

Report tenancy fraud online

or email 

or telephone 0117 922 2470

Your report will be treated in the strictest confidence. We don't need to know who you are, you can tell us anonymously.

The tenant having someone else living with them isn't tenancy fraud and we wouldn't investigate it, although it could affect benefit entitlement. If you suspect benefit fraud then report this to the Department for Work and Pensions using the link below.

Watch the tenancy fraud video

View transcript of the video (pdf, 33 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 34k) (opens new window) .

Our tenancy fraud policy

Social housing is a valuable asset, which provides security and stability to people in housing need. Those who commit tenancy fraud deprive these people who are in genuine need. This is unacceptable, and the Council, as a landlord, has a duty to make the best use of public resources by ensuring that homes are properly managed, and that tenancy fraud is prevented.

Tackling this issue is a priority, as it affects both residents and communities, removing accommodation from those in most need. The Council is committed to having a dedicated resource available to investigate complaints of tenancy fraud, and, if found to be taking place, action will be taken, including prosecution if appropriate.

Bristol adopts a zero tolerance approach to tenancy fraud, and will work with, and support, other agencies and social housing providers to stop tenancy fraud, and make the most of its social housing.

Report any other fraud such as Blue Badge, Council Tax and Resident Parking Zone


Report benefit fraud

Benefit fraud is no longer investigated by the council.

Report benefit fraud

More information about benefit fraud on GOV.UK