Harassment and unlawful eviction, advice for tenants
Help if you’re being harassed or have been unlawfully evicted by your landlord
If your landlord wants you to leave their property, they must follow strict procedures. Details are available on GOV.UK – Private renting evictions . If they don’t they may be guilty of harassing or unlawfully evicting you, which are criminal offences. We can investigate and if necessary take legal action.
Harassment is anything your landlord does, or fails to do, that makes you want to leave the property.
- cutting off services, like gas and electricity
- visiting the property at unsociable hours
- refusing to carry out repairs
- starting but not finishing disruptive repairs or building work
- trying to take away your legal rights as a tenant
- being violent or threatening violence
- abusive behaviour
- opening your post or removing your belongings
Write down the details of everything that happens including dates, times and what was said. When you see your landlord, ask them to confirm anything said verbally in writing. Try and have someone with you to give you support and be a witness.
You may have been unlawfully evicted if:
- your landlord doesn’t give you the right notice to leave the property
- you find the locks have been changed
- you’re evicted without a bailiff’s warrant
If the property is repossessed by the landlord’s mortgage lender, the lender must still give you a notice period to find somewhere else to live.
Contact us if you think you’ve been unlawfully evicted.
Telephone: 0117 352 1600
Getting back into a property
If you have been evicted from a property that you have a right to occupy, we can try to negotiate with the landlord to let you back in.
If this fails we might be able to help you find a private solicitor. They can arrange for proceedings to be brought before the court. The court has the power to order the landlord to allow you back into the property.
Elsewhere on the web
- Can my landlord evict me? Go to http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/eviction_checker (opens new window)
- My landlord wants me out. Guidance from GOV.UK Go to https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/16135/138298.pdf (opens new window)
- Protection from Eviction Act 1977 Go to http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/43 (opens new window)