Housing list - how to get on the Bristol Housing Register

Apply for council or housing association housing through HomeChoice Bristol.

How to apply

You can apply on HomeChoice Bristol.

In Bristol you'll only have to make one application to HomeChoice Bristol. There's no charge for the application.

You’ll usually have to join a waiting list and you’re not guaranteed to get a property.

Who can apply

In order to be included on HomeChoice Bristol, you must meet all of the qualification conditions:

  • Residency.  You'll need to have lived in Bristol for the last two years.
  • Income.  No applications will be accepted from households with an income over £40,000.
  • Savings.  No applications will be accepted from households with savings over £40,000.
  • Homeowners.  No applications will be accepted from anyone who owns their own home.
  • Behaviour.  No applications will be accepted from people with a history of serious unacceptable behaviour.
  • Age. You'll need to be 16 years old or over

There are exceptions to these qualification criteria. This is explained in Bristol’s new Housing Allocation Scheme (pdf, 313k) (opens new window) .

You may not be eligible if you're subject to immigration control.

What happens after you apply

  • If a home visit is necessary, a member of staff will arrange to visit you.
  • Your application will be placed into one of four bands, the highest is Band 1 and the lowest Band 4. Applications will be considered in date order within each band.
  • You'll be contacted with details of what band your application has been assessed into.
  • Once your application has been assessed and placed into the appropriate band, you'll be able to start bidding for properties advertised through HomeChoice Bristol.

Proof you need to provide

You won't need to provide any documents, unless we ask you to.

If you're offered a property, you'll be asked to provide identification, and you'll need to verify your circumstances.

The documents you'll be asked to provide can vary.

They usually include:

  • proof of identity for the main and joint applicant and all the people in the household, such as a passport or birth certificates
  • proof of the current address for the main and joint applicant and all the people in your household, such as a recent utility bill
  • proof of pregnancy if this applies to anyone
  • evidence of your right to live in the UK if you're not a British Citizen: such as a passport or other Home Office documentation
  • proof of your worker status if you're an EEA national

What is HomeChoice Bristol?

HomeChoice Bristol is the name of the scheme that Bristol City Council and partner Housing Associations within the city use to allocate their properties. 

All properties are advertised and people on the housing register who qualify for that size of property can express an interest in properties they want to be considered for. 

This is called placing a “bid”.  For more information about how to bid for properties please read our How to Bid leaflet (pdf, 2.9MB) (opens new window)

What happens if my bid is successful?

If you make a successful bid and receive an offer of accommodation, you'll need to provide the following documents:

  • identification for all adults listed on the application
  • proof of address for all adults on the application
  • proof of receipt of Child Benefit for all dependant children on the application
  • proof of pregnancy, if applicable

If applicable, you'll also need to provide evidence of your continued eligibility. If you fail to provide the required documents in the time specified by the landlord, this may result in the offer of accommodation being withdrawn.

Our Housing Allocation Scheme

Your application will be assessed into one of four bands, depending on your housing need. For more information on how bands are awarded please read the Introduction to HomeChoice Bristol leaflet (pdf, 2.8MB) (opens new window)

You can also download a copy of the council's Housing Allocation Scheme (pdf, 313k) (opens new window) which gives further information about the banding system.

Other housing options

Demand for social housing in Bristol is much higher than the number of available properties.

For this reason we advise those of you on lower bands to look into other housing options that may be available to you.

For more information please see our Other Housing Options leaflet (pdf, 3.3MB) (opens new window)

Renting a property from Housing Associations

Housing Associations provide accommodation for people who need a home but cannot afford to buy or rent privately. Housing Associations (also called registered social landlords) are generally non-profit making organisations. The size, type and location of properties varies from one association to another.

Some associations are quite small, with only a few flats or houses. Others are much bigger with many different types of housing.

Each housing association is set up to provide homes for a particular group of people. Some provide housing for people in housing need and others provide accommodation specifically for a particular group e.g. for older people.

Some housing associations provide housing and support for people who need support or assistance to help them set up their home or to live independently.

List of HomeChoice Bristol landlords.

Tell us about a change in circumstances

To tell us about a change in your circumstances:

Once you've logged in, you'll be able to tell us how your circumstances have changed.

HomeChoice Bristol will contact you to let you know of any changes to your assesment, once they've reviewed your application.

You must not:

  • sub-let your home without permission
  • live somewhere else whilst holding a council tenancy
  • gave us false information or withhold information to obtain your home

If this is the case, you'll lose the home and we'll take legal action against you that could lead to a fine or imprisonment.

Contact us

For more information about the Housing Register and other housing advice, contact HomeChoice Bristol.

Appointments to discuss more complex rehousing queries with a Rehousing Advisor are available at our Citizen Service Point.