New council homes in Bristol
New council homes in Bristol
Our New Build Housing programme, where we’re building council homes and how many homes we’ve built so far.
Filwood housing developments consultation
To take part in this consultation visit our Filwood consultation page.
Online surveys close: Monday 6 January 2020.
What we're doing
We started the New Build Housing programme in 2014, using brownfield sites to provide new, high quality homes. A brownfield site is any piece of land that has previously been developed, such as a car park, factory or office building.
Our target is to build 2000 new homes by 2020. This includes 800 affordable homes, some of which will be council housing.
Council homes we've built
We built 133 new council homes between 2015 and August 2019.
New build council housing completed units (pdf, 60KB) (opens new window) (opens new window)
Where we’re building new council homes
To reduce costs, all of the sites make use of land we already own, with a focus on derelict sites that we can bring back into use.
By doing this, we’re:
- making the best use of land we already own
- improving areas for local communities
- addressing the demand for affordable housing in Bristol
- helping reduce anti-social behaviour on derelict sites
We’re developing on a number of sites in Bristol. On the Local Planning Portal you can find more detailed information about each of the schemes, including site layout plans and elevations. Use the planning reference to find a scheme.
Our largest site to date is Ashton Rise. We’re working with Willmott Dixon to deliver 133 homes, 53 council units and 80 for private sale (planning reference: 17/06559/FB).
If you want to be kept updated on the availability of properties in this site, go to the Ashton Rise website.
Future development schemes
We’ve started the next phase of the new build council housing programme. We’ll develop 11 sites over the next three years, which will provide around 550 new homes (subject to planning consent). We’ll announce more details in due course.
Greville Elderly People’s Home and Gaywood House
In late November 2019, we held initial consultation events for potential housing developments at Greville Elderly Peoples Home, Stockwood and Gaywood House, Bedminster. You can view the display boards that were shown at these events below.
- Greville EPH, Lacey Road (pdf, 20.6MB) (opens new window)
- Gaywood House, Bedminster (pdf, 18MB) (opens new window)
The plans shown were only indicative, and meant to demonstrate what a planning policy compliant scheme for each site may look like. Feedback taken from both events will be used to revise any plans and residents will be consulted again in the New Year.
If you would still like to provide comments, you can do so by contacting the team at the email address at the bottom of this page. We have extended the deadline for comments until Tuesday 31st December 2019.
We're planning to develop three sites in Lockleaze, to include council homes.
- former housing land at Branwhite Close
- land allocated for housing at Bonnington Walk
- the former Brunel Ford Dealership, Muller Road
You can find out more at the Lockleaze Housing Festival on 26 October. We'll run a consultation for residents later in the year.
We’ve won industry awards for the quality of the design and construction methods used for three of these development schemes:
- Challender Court in Henbury was the winner of the Royal Institute of Britsh Architects (RIBA) South West Sustainability Award
- Suffolk Close, Henbury: Local Authority Building Control (LABC) Building Excellence Awards, Winner of Best Social or Affordable New Housing Development & Finalist for Best Small Housing Development 2018.
- Kingsmarsh Way, Lawrence Hill: Winner of a Bristol Civic Society Design Award 2017.
We’ve been nominated and shortlisted as finalists for a number of industry awards (pdf, 33KB) (opens new window) .
Apply for council housing
To place a bid when we advertise the properties, you must be registered with Home Choice Bristol.
Contact the Housing Delivery team
If you’ve got a question about the New build council housing programme or need more information about a site being developed near you, email: email@example.com