The Mayor and Cabinet
The Mayor and Cabinet
The role of Mayor and Cabinet and decisions they can take.
Every year, the Mayor forms a Cabinet. The Cabinet is made up of the Mayor Marvin Rees and Cabinet members.
The Cabinet's role is to:
- provide leadership
- propose the budget and policy framework
- implement policy through strategic directors.
See the decisions that the Mayor will take within the next four months in the forward plan
The Mayor has ultimate responsibility for all major policy decisions. Whilst some of this responsibility may be delegated to, or shared with Cabinet members, the Bristol Mayor currently retains this function.
The Mayor makes 'executive' decisions within the budget and policy framework set by Full council. Executive decisions are only made by the Mayor that:
- are more than £500,000 spending or savings or
- have an impact on more than one ward
Cabinet members are councillors with special responsibilities over an area of the council's activities, such as, neighbourhoods or transport. Their area of responsibility is known as their portfolio.
Cabinet members may work with council officers and others to develop policy within their portfolio, which then comes to Cabinet for formal approval.
The Cabinet decides the council's key policies.
- Mayor Marvin Rees – existing duties plus roads and congestion, economy, external relations (including international), sports, culture, regional work through the West of England Combined Authority, city infrastructure (including arena), the Clean Streets campaign, City Office and democratic engagement, new Congestion Task Group
- Councillor Craig Cheney, Deputy Mayor – Finance, Governance and Performance
- Councillor Asher Craig, Deputy Mayor – Communities (Public Health, Public Transport, Libraries, Parks), Events and Equalities
- Councillor Helen Godwin – Children and Young People
- Councillor Kye Dudd – Energy, Waste and Regulatory Services
- Councillor Anna Keen – Education and Skills
- Councillor Helen Holland – Adult Social Care
- Councillor Paul Smith – Housing
- Councillor Mhairi Threlfall – Transport and Connectivity
- Councillor Nicola Beech - Strategic Planning and City Design
There are three supporting Councillor Leads who provide extra capacity for work on Public Transport and International relations.
- Councillor Steve Pearce – Commercialisation and Public Transport
- Councillor Hibaq Jama – International
Councillor Leads are not formal Cabinet Members.