Careers in social work and care
Information about jobs, placements and work experience in social work and care.
Visit Proud to Care to see how carers make a difference in people's lives.
You can also learn about training and look for jobs with local care providers.
Get experience before you train
If you don’t have a social work and care qualification, there are jobs that will give you the experience you need before you train for a qualification.
- care assistant in a residential home
- reablement worker
- social care practitioner
- care worker
- family support worker
- social worker assistant
- home care assistant
- catering and domestic worker in residential units
- administration, for example Unit Coordinator
Many jobs give you experience that may lead to work-based qualifications.
Apply for jobs
If you’re a qualified practitioner, or you’re looking for experience before you train, you can find and apply for jobs on our jobs website.
Placements for social work students
We offer a range of practice learning opportunities and observation placements to students from the University of Bristol and the University of the West of England.
Your university department arranges these placements directly. You shouldn’t try to arrange placements independently.
Voluntary work and work experience
Our work is confidential. We can only offer work experience and shadowing opportunities to people who:
- are thinking about returning to Social Work
- are thinking about working in a local authority
- have a relevant DBS check
You need to provide references.
If you'd like to progress in a career in Social Work, we offer professional support, including:
- opportunities for profesisonal development and learning
- support to maintain your HCPC registration
- supervision from a qualified social worker
- an extensive induction for all newly qualified social workers
- an established Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE) programme for all newly qualified social workers
- opportunities for career progression to train as a BIA, AMHP, Practice educator or other specialist social work roles