Hold an event in a park, open space or street

Hold an event in a park, open space or street

Where you can hold an event, what events you can and can’t hold, how to ask for permission, what happens after you apply

Social gatherings of more than six people are not allowed under the new government rules on meeting others safely (GOV.UK). This applies indoors and outdoors and to all ages.

We want to help event organisers to put on activities and events where it's safe to do so.

To help you run events in a safe and economically viable way, we:

  • are considering new enquiries and requests to hold events in parks and open spaces
  • can help you with your proposals

Where you can hold an event

You can hold an event in a park or open space. See the locations on our map. You must apply for permission. 

You can't hold an event in the Redcliffe caves at this time. This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

What events you can hold

You can apply to hold:

  • pop up restaurants or bars 
  • a funfair or circus
  • drive in and outdoor cinemas 
  • theatre walkabouts in open spaces
  • performing arts events
  • community meetups 
  • religious occasions 

These events can have low level background music, including DJs, as long as volume levels are low enough that people don’t have to shout to be heard.

You can also tell us your ideas for other types of event and discuss your event with our team.

You can't currently hold:

  • events with loud music or sound systems, this is because of the increase risk of coronavirus transmission when people have to raise their voices
  • street parties
  • an event where people stand and drink (vertical drinking), this is because it makes social distancing difficult to manage

Ask to hold an event in an outdoor space or park

Email with:

  • the name of your business, charity, organisation
  • a brief summary of your event proposal, including activities, infrastructure, how it will work, your proposed event programme, plans for food and drink, and benefits to the city
  • a site plan
  • the location or locations you want to use
  • event dates and times, including any build and break days

We’ll consider each request on a case by case basis and get back to you by email within 10 working days.

We may have to send your proposal to the Safety Advisory Group for Events (SAGE). This may take 2 to 4 weeks and may mean you have to make changes to your proposed event. 

It can take up to 6 weeks from when you send your initial proposal to your event being approved. 

You should also read our Coronavirus (COVID-19): guide to restarting outdoor events.

If we agree to your initial proposal

You'll need to apply through eventapp, which also has details of:

  • hire locations
  • fees and charges
  • the application process, including templates for event organisers

You'll need to upload copies of your: 

  • detailed Event Management Plan (EMP)
  • COVID-19 risk assessments 
  • COVID-19 safety policy 
  • site map 
  • proof of public liability Insurance

After you apply

We'll send your documents to SAGE and other agencies for consultation and tell you about any feedback, including:

  • changes you need to make to your event
  • documents that need to be reworked
  • concerns about safety or social distancing that need to be addressed

We may ask you to attend to our safety advisory group as part of this process

We won’t give permission for your event to go ahead until all documentation has been signed off. 

Loudspeaker consent

We’re not giving permission to use loudspeakers at this time.

Event licences

As well as applying for site permission, if you’re holding an event you must apply for any licences that you need, such as a:

Email if you have questions about licences.

Social distancing and hygiene

Make sure you're providing clear guidance on social distancing and hygiene to people on arrival at your event.

We have created posters you can download to help keep your staff and customers safe.