Gypsy, Roma and Travellers
For Gypsy, Roma and Travellers in Bristol
Gypsy, Roma, Traveller Drop-in
- North Bristol Gypsy, Roma and Traveller drop-in (pdf, 524k) (opens new window)
- East Central Gypsy, Roma and Traveller drop-in (pdf, 575k) (opens new window)
- South Bristol Gypsy, Roma and Traveller drop-in (pdf, 281k) (opens new window)
- Roma Support Service (Romanian version) (pdf, 786k) (opens new window)
- Roma Support Service (English version) (pdf, 691k) (opens new window)
- Transit Site drop-in (pdf, 227k) (opens new window)
- Permanent site drop-in and Forest School
Resources for professionals and service providers
Gypsy, Roma, Traveller service directory
- Gypsy, Roma, Traveller - Bristol directory (pdf, 4.0 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 4MB) (opens new window) : lots of phone numbers and help about all kinds of things
- Friends, Family, Travellers Service Directory: 01273 234 777
- FFT, BCC, Health watch I need extra health cards (pdf, 237 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 238k) (opens new window)
Myth booklet and brochure
Gypsies and Travellers contribute to society through involvement in many spheres of activity and live by the same rules as everyone else. However, there are many myths about them in the media.
We've prepared a booklet (pdf, 476 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 476k) (opens new window) and leaflet (pdf, 193 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 193k) (opens new window) in partnership with a group of Gypsies and Travellers to provide a more accurate picture of their lives and to promote better relationships with settled people.
The Gypsy, Roma,Traveller (GRT) Inter-agency Team provide a comprehensive service to Gypsy, Roma and Travellers and the settled community. Find out about us in the inter-agency support team leaflet (pdf, 0.6 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 659k) (opens new window) .
The Gypsy, Roma Traveller Team manage the city's two sites and is responsible for the management and monitoring of all unauthorised encampments on local authority owned land.
Please look through the resources below before contacting us. We're a very small very busy team.
Bristol's Travellers sites
In Bristol we have one permanent caravan site in Ashton Vale (12 pitches) and one transit site in Lawrence Weston (20 pitches).
- The permanent site has a mixture of English Gypsies and Irish Travellers and is owned and managed by Bristol City Council. Some residents move away for the spring and summer for work purposes but come back for the autumn and winter months. This site is for residency twelve months a year.
- The transit site is used for Gypsies and Travellers moving to and from Bristol for work purposes only. They can stay for up to three months at a time only. This site saves on costs of evictions, illegal or unauthorised encampments and is a safe place to stay while looking for work. There can be as little as one family or as many as twenty families staying at any one time.
Site application forms
- Permanent Residential Pitch application form explanatory notes (word doc, 70k) (opens new window) (word doc, 70k) (opens new window)
- Residential Pitch Application Form (word doc, 208k) (opens new window)
- Residential Gypsy Traveller Site health and support needs form (word doc, 161k) (opens new window)
- Transit gypsy site application form Kingsweston Lane (word doc, 111k) (opens new window)
- Unauthorised encampment request form for welfare needs and personal circumstances information (word doc, 149k) (opens new window)
Accommodation and welfare assessment
- Gypsy, Traveller and Travelling Showpeople Accommodation Assessment (pdf, 1.1 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 1.1MB) (opens new window)
(South Gloucestershire and Bristol City councils, 2014)
- GRT Welfare Assessment (pdf, 1.4 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 1.4MB) (opens new window)
Housing: useful contacts
- HomeChoice Bristol: social housing applications, 0117 922 2400
- Bristol City Council planning department: 0117 352 5009
- Bristol City council tenancy relations: 0117 914 1206/7
- Planning Aid Helpline: 0870 850 9807
- Homelessness support in Bristol from St Mungos
- Information and advice on sites by the Shelter charity
- Information and advice on sites by FFT traveller organisation
- Useful application to find the schools nearest you
- Guidance for schools with GRT pupils (pdf, 392 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 428k) (opens new window)
- Find a childcare provider
- NATT National Association for Teachers for Travellers, 01273 234 777
- Parent Held Education Records
- Barriers to Accessing Education (pdf, 471 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 471k) (opens new window)
- Support for Early Years outreach practictioners (pdf, 0.7 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 706k) (opens new window)
Children missing education
Children missing education (CME) refers to children of compulsory school age who are not on a school roll, and who are not receiving a suitable education otherwise than being at school, for example, at home, privately or in alternative provision. This does not apply to children who are registered at a school who are not attending regularly.
Telephone: 0117 903 6444
Work, benefits and welfare advice
- Work Licensing Team, 0117 914 2500
- Council Tax, 0117 922 2900
- Job Centre Plus Information according to area can be found in the GRT Directory (pdf, 4.0 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 4MB) (opens new window)
- Citizens Advice Bristol, 03444 111444
- Pedlar’s Certificate firstname.lastname@example.org, 0117 914 2500
- Traveller Trades and Businesses, FFT Friends Family Travellers, 01273 234 777
- GRT (Equalities) Data and research online
- GRT (Equalities) Further data and research pdf (pdf, 285 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 286k) (opens new window)
- Welfare rights and money advice service
Advocacy and awareness raising resource
- FFT Friends Family Travellers, 01273 234 777
- FFT, BCC, Healthwatch I NEED EXTRA HELP CARDS (pdf, 237 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 238k) (opens new window)
- GRT Service Brochure (pdf, 0.6 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 659k) (opens new window)
- GRT Directory (pdf, 4.0 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 4MB) (opens new window)
- Friends, Family, Travellers Service Directory, 01273 234 777
- Showmen’s Guild of Great Britain, 0145 422889
- Avon and Bristol Law Centre, 0117 924 8662
- SARI Support against Racist Incidents, 0117 942 0060
- First Response, 0117 903 6444
- TAT Community Law Partnership, Travellers Advice Team, 0121 685 8677
- National Bargee Travellers Association, 0118 321 4128
- Free training and open referral process (pdf, 192k) (opens new window)
Safeguarding and social support:
Bristol Safeguarding Children Board 0117 903 7786.
- Victim Support for victims or witnesses. 0845 303 0900 / 0117 947 3070.
- Next Link (Bristol Specialist Family Abuse Service). 0117 925 0680
- National Family Violence Helpline 24hours, free 0808 200 0247
- BAVA Victim Support for Family Violence
- Women’s Aid 0808 200 0247
Further information available on this website:
- Child Trafficking.
- National Referral Mechanism.
- Child left alone.
- Children who abuse.
- Death in childhood.
- Expected baby.
- Guidance for injuries.
- Missing Child.
- Child Sexual Exploitation.
- Under 16 sexual active.
- Domestic Violence and Abuse / MAR.
- Substance abuse and misuse.
- Forced Marriage.
- Safeguarding referrals, protocol, best practice and escalation policy.
First Response. 0117 903 6444.
- More information or resources about Safer Bristol’s and Human Trafficking.
Support for children and families affected by imprisonment
- Barnardo’s CAPI Children Affected by Parental Imprisonment 0117 967 9341
- i-HOP Information and advice service to support all professionals in working with children and families of offenders
- CAPI service leaflet for Bristol (pdf, 441k) (opens new window)
- referral form (word doc, 246k) (opens new window)
- GRT read-easy service leaflet (word doc, 2.7MB) (opens new window)
Traveller Support Services in neighbouring authorities:
- Cambridge City Council 01223 457000 and Cambridgeshire County Traveller Liaison: 0345 045 5200.
- Cardiff County Council.
- Coventry City Council 0500 834 333.
- Essex County Council 0845 603 7624.
- Leeds Council City Council 0113 247 5493 or 0113 395 1102.
- Leicestershire County Council.
- North Somerset Council.
- South Gloucestershire Council 01454 868009.
- Warwickshire County Council 01926 418033.