Local Plan review
Local Plan review
Information on our review of the Local Plan and how to take part.
The review of the local plan is continuing. It will set out how Bristol will develop over the next 20 years.
The new plan will help deliver the new homes and jobs we need and safeguard the environmental assets we value.
It's being prepared in cooperation with neighbouring councils so that planning issues are addressed across the wider region. We are working to this timetable (pdf, 98KB) (opens new window) :
- 2020: New studies and evidence. Call for sites continues.
- 2021: Consultation on issues and options for development (Regulation 18).
- 2022: Publication version to be approved and made available for comment (Regulation 19).
- 2023: Examination by planning inspector. New local plan to be adopted (Autumn 2023).
The West of England Combined Authority (WECA) is preparing a Spatial Development Strategy for our region. Bristol’s local plan will be in line with that strategy. For the latest information on West of England joint planning visit the combined authority web page.
Progressing Bristol’s Development is a statement about planning in Bristol which explains the current approach to making planning decisions. An accompanying practice note will be available in November.
Call for sites
Developers, landowners and other organisations are invited to tell us about potential sites for housing and / or economic development within Bristol City Council area.
Proposed sites should be submitted using the form available below:
Local Plan review consultation 2019
We held a consultation on the Local Plan from March to May 2019.
- the Local Plan’s draft policies (pdf, 7.8MB) (opens new window)
- the draft site allocations (pdf, 6.7MB) (opens new window)
- the proposals for protection of open space (pdf, 11.8MB) (opens new window)
Here's a summary of the responses we received to the latest consultation:
The Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report (pdf, 1.7MB) (opens new window) outlines the scope of the update to the Bristol Local Plan.
Questions on the Local Plan review
If you have any questions about the Local Plan review, email firstname.lastname@example.org.