Local Plan review
Local Plan review
Information on our review of the Local Plan and how to take part.
The review of the local plan is continuing. It will set out how Bristol will develop over the next 20 years.
The new plan will help deliver the new homes and jobs we need and safeguard the environmental assets we value.
It's being prepared in cooperation with neighbouring councils so that planning issues are addressed across the wider region. We are working to this timetable:
- Spring 2022: Additional consultation on issues and options for development (Regulation 18)
- Summer 2022: Publication version to be approved and made available for comment (Regulation 19)
- Spring/Summer 2023: Examination by planning inspector
- Autumn 2023: New local plan to be adopted
The Local Development Scheme (pdf, 98KB) (opens new window) explains what development plan documents we intend to produce.
Spatial Development Strategy
The West of England Combined Authority (WECA) are preparing a Spatial Development strategy.
The strategy will make sure homes, employment spaces and transport links are planned in the right places over the next 20 years. Bristol’s local plan will be in line with this strategy.
You can find out more on the WECA website.
Progressing Bristol's Development
Progressing Bristol’s Development is a statement about planning in Bristol which explains the current approach to making planning decisions. An accompanying practice note will be available in November.
Call for sites
Developers, landowners and other organisations are invited to tell us about potential sites for housing and / or economic development within Bristol City Council area.
Proposed sites should be submitted using the form available below:
Local Plan review consultation 2019
We held a consultation on the Local Plan from March to May 2019.
- the Local Plan’s draft policies (pdf, 7.8MB) (opens new window)
- the draft site allocations (pdf, 6.7MB) (opens new window)
- the proposals for protection of open space (pdf, 11.8MB) (opens new window)
- list of policies and site allocations proposed to be retained (pdf, 94KB) (opens new window)
Here's a summary of the responses we received to the latest consultation:
The Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report (pdf, 1.7MB) (opens new window) outlines the scope of the update to the Bristol Local Plan.
Questions on the Local Plan review
If you have any questions about the Local Plan review, email firstname.lastname@example.org.