Information on our review of the local plan and how to take part.
The new local plan will set out how Bristol will develop up to 2040. It will help deliver the new homes and jobs we need and safeguard the environment we value.
The publication version of the new plan was agreed by Full Council on 31 October 2023.
The publication version can be viewed here:
- pdf Bristol Local Plan main document, publication version November 2023 (4.96 MB)
- pdf Bristol Local Plan annex, publication version, development allocations November 2023 (13.03 MB)
- pdf Bristol Local Plan policies map, publication version, November 2023 (8.31 MB)
The consultation on the publication version of the local plan has now closed.
Representations submitted during the consultation will be considered by the planning inspector who examines the local plan.
Representations will be publicly available.
pdf A statement of representations procedure (125 KB) has been prepared as required by Regulation 19 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012.
For details of how we use, manage and control your information, read our pdf privacy statement (261 KB) .
We are carrying out a sustainability appraisal as part of the local plan review:
- pdf Bristol Local Plan Review Sustainability Appraisal: Main report (2.05 MB)
- pdf Bristol Local Plan Review Sustainability Appraisal: Non-technical summary (1.07 MB)
- pdf Sustainability Appraisal Updated Scoping Report 2023 (1.48 MB)
- pdf Framework to inform the prediction and evaluation of the effects of the publication version of the new local plan (307 KB)
- pdf Assessing the effects of the Bristol Local Plan Pre-Submission Publication Version November 2023 (3.63 MB)
- pdf Predicting and evaluating the effects of Publication Version November 2023 Draft Local Plan Sites (796 KB)
A habitats assessment will accompany the local plan. You can read the pdf screening report for that assessment (13.97 MB) .
Statement of consultation
To accompany the publication version of the new local plan, we've prepared a pdf statement of consultation (1.74 MB) .
It sets out how the council has responded to comments made at earlier stages of consultation and how they've informed the plan.
Equality impact assessment
An pdf equality impact assessment (929 KB) has been undertaken for the local plan. This looks at the potential effects of the plan's policies on different equalities groups.
Strategic cross-boundary matters
Read a pdf statement of our progress (387 KB) in the process of planning for strategic cross-boundary issues.
Earlier stages of plan preparation
The local plan review has gone through a number of earlier stages of preparation and consultation.
Further consultation November 2022
A consultation was held between November 2022 and January 2023 on the following documents:
Local plan review consultation March 2019
We held a consultation on the local plan from March to May 2019. The consultation drafts are available here for information:
- pdf The local plan's draft policies (7.83 MB)
- pdf The draft site allocations (6.68 MB)
- pdf The proposals for protection of open space (11.84 MB)
- pdf Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report (1.66 MB)
Local plan review consultation February 2018
In 2018, we conducted an initial consultation on the local plan review and new proposed policies. This consultation informed the early stages of plan preparation.
The publication version of the Bristol Local Plan has been informed by various evidence studies and reports.
Local development scheme
The pdf latest local development scheme (316 KB) was published in November 2022 and the timetable updated in July 2023.
Questions on the local plan review
If you have any questions about the local plan review, email firstname.lastname@example.org